Carnival Cruise Line announced today it will debut a new specialty restaurant on board its most recent addition to the fleet, Carnival Venezia, which is aptly named Il Viaggio – Italian for “The Voyage” – since it promises a journey across Italy through the country’s rich and diverse cuisine.
New Restaurant Concept
Il Viaggio’s food and beverage offerings are curated to showcase distinct culinary regions of Italy.. Each menu item, from “antipasti” starters to “dolce” desserts, is representative of a regional specialty, so guests can create elevated meals that bring together different tastes from all areas of Italy.
“Highlighting the various Italian regions renowned for certain specialties will invite our guests to enjoy an immersive exploration of flavors – a meal that’s truly unique, delicious and offers an enriching experience as well,” said Emeril Lagasse, Carnival’s chief culinary officer. “Guests will find their favorite Italian staples here, and they’ll also have the chance to try authentic dishes and drinks that might just become new favorites.”
Reservations for the restaurant are now open for guests booked on upcoming Carnival Venezia sailings. Il Viaggio will carry a reservations fee in line with Carnival’s other full-service specialty restaurants. To make reservations or learn more about specialty dining options, visit Carnival.com.
Elevated Menu Will Indulge in the Best of Italian Cuisine
Creatively crafted to offer regional collections across each part of the menu, selections of appetizers, entrees, desserts, wines and cocktails all note diverse regions of Italy where they are most known. The menu will also feature signature dishes, called “Favorito” entrees. Among them is the Sicilian-inspired Pollo Parmigiana Pizza, which is made with a crispy chicken crust pizza with tomato basil sauce, mozzarella, pepperoncini flakes, parmesan and a honey-chili dressing, and the Lombardy-influenced Lombata Milanese, a 16-oz bone-in veal chop that’s thinly pounded, lightly breaded, pan-fried and served with a green salad.
A sampling of menu selections from each of the three courses offered includes:
- “Antipasti” – Starters
- House-Made Burrata (Lombardy): A soft, fresh Italian cheese is accompanied by heirloom tomatoes and Genevese pesto.
- Panzarotti (Campania): A golden brown and savory puff stuffed with sausage and pesto.
- Supli al Telefono (Lazio): Crisp risotto croquette filled with mozzarella and marinara sauce.
- “Secondi” – Entrees
- Pappardelle Al Cinghiale (Tuscany): Delicious ribbon pasta is tossed with pork ragu in a red wine marinade.
- Jumbo Shrimp Scampi (Venice): A classic scampi sauce is flavored by garlic, pepperoncino, Pinot Grigio and accompanied by lemon risotto.
- Pasta alla Genovese (Liguria): San Marzano tomato sauce flavors ziti pasta, along with cooked onion and simmered beef rib.
- “Dolce” – Desserts
- Mile-High Gelato Pie (Tuscany): A special creation that includes the delicious flavors of salted caramel, mocha, toasted coconut and Chantilly cream.
- Cannoli Siciliani di Ricotta (Sicily): Crunchy shells filled with delicious ricotta cheese flavored by marsala wine and chocolate chips.
- Tiramisu (Venice): Espresso-flavored quintessential Italian dessert with mascarpone cream.
Unparalleled Service and Authentic Ambiance Enrich Experience
Il Viaggio’s culinary team will be led full-time by an Italian executive chef. Carnival’s signature friendly service will make guests feel like family from the moment they enter, and in the fashion of renowned Italian restaurants, the staff will embody the warm hospitality and passion that characterizes Italian culture. The welcoming feeling will help create an exceptional and memorable experience for each guest during every visit.
The refined backdrop of the restaurant will celebrate the theme of journeying through Italy. Through artwork and architectural touches that highlight the different regions featured on the menu, Il Viaggio’s visual aesthetic will bring to life a nuanced portrayal of journeying through diverse Italian landscapes and guests will also have the option to dine al fresco on the restaurant’s lanai. Il Viaggo also features a show kitchen, where guests will see chefs baking the fresh focaccia bread that servers will share at each table to welcome them. Altogether, the intimate ambiance of the restaurant will perfectly complement the menu to create the truly unique culinary voyage that offers guests a unique and immersive dining experience.
Carnival Venezia is the first ship to showcase Carnival Fun Italian Style. It’s currently undergoing an enhancement project in Spain before embarking on a 15-day Carnival Journeys transatlantic sailing May 29, 2023 from Barcelona. The ship is set to arrive to her new home at in New York City and begin operations from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal on June 15, 2023. The ship accommodates more than 5,000 guests and will offer 10 different cruise durations and 22 unique itineraries featuring visits to 25 ports across 14 countries.
To see sailings currently open for sale on Carnival Venezia, click here. For additional information on Carnival Cruise Line and to book a cruise vacation on Carnival, call 1-800-CARNIVAL, visit http://www.carnival.com