? any other ladies do this too??.

C

Cruise cutie

I get a ton of lovely toiletries for gifts, and most of my friends and family know I have ULTRA sensitive skin, and factor that in, which means it's even more HIGH end.. so I in the last month was viscious to my bathroom, and de-cluttered it.. and took stock.. :dizzy...well I had a TON of this stuff, and for years I'd "save" it , take it *only* on vacation.. or put it out for when *our 4 girls* came home...

well my Goodness I don't know if it took shoving 50 or just my brain thawing from it's frugal stance or what.. but for the last month..I have kicked all those lovely treats out, and are using them.. and Wowee I mean I realise the rainy day theory is nice..but was I going to take them with me??..:grin..
so in essence I have been luxuriating in some really nice goodies, and my skin is still happy.. and you know I am starting to do that in other ways.. with the I'll save it..NOT.. Man it's OK to use stuff you have.. NOT with dishes ,and sterling and china.. my Momma chomped on me in my 20's the reason you have it is to use it Joanne DEE..and I want to see it used!!..:evil.. so I have that ingrained..

any other ladies getting in gear to use stuff, not save it and for crying out loud just enjoy.....we only get one shot at this lifetime untill I hear otherwise so I am finally learning..anyone else??. just curious....:grin..Joanne

B

BostonsJ

I so miss the days when I could use all those lovely scented creams and shower gels. I love them all and have some still but with my skin and immune problems I just can't use them much without a reaction.

If you are able to use them enjoy them! I do love to splurge a bit a couple of times a year when Bath and Body has a sale and put those pretty scented anti-bacterial hand cleansers out. And I use them. I can still use the hand creams but can't use the body lotions or shower gels anymore. Use them up and enjoy them Joanne. Pamper yourself it seems we always think we need to do special things for others and sometimes don't do enough for ourselves.

D

Donna - dsw

Mine is candles - - I love them and have the buring all the time.

Also, hit Bath and Body works this weekend. They had a big 75% off sale and I loaded up. I keep mine out and use it daily.

G

GloBug

When my DH was in Nam back in the day, he bought a lovely huge set of white china banded with gold for his parents. They thought he was sending it home to hold for him, so they never used it, just set it away.

It wasn't until we were married 22 yrs ago that his dad brought it out and gave it to us. We've used it a few times, but it's mostly packed away, because it has to be hand washed. That and the gold plated flat ware. And the crystal glasses.

Now I'm thinking, I need to use it so that my daughter grows up (grows up more, she's 20!) remembering it. I doubt she even knows about it any more.

Thanks for the push, Joanne!

N

nieciez

It is funny how we do that. I 've been gulity of it. Got it from my Momma. :lol :lol

R

reggae

Good that you are enjoying your gifts, Joanne. I am like BJ, I am allergic to so many things, so I have to be careful.

In DD's travels, she accumulates a lot of those small toiletries from hotels on layovers. We collect it all up and then donate it to the local nursing homes. They seem to like all the lotions, shampoos, etc.

When we moved from our big house to this smaller house, we got rid of tons of stuff. Now, I have to say, I don't miss any of the stuff that just sat in closets anyway. So now, it's sitting in someone else's closet :lol :lol

W

Whimsy

Cutie, it's a good reminder for everyone to remember that "today is the someday special" we always wait for.

I have lost so many way too soon that were always waiting for "someday". I don't wait for "someday" anymore.

I always remember a story from one of my Chicken Soup for the Soul books where a husband gets out the expensive slip his wife was always saving for a special occasion. He was with his wife's sister and told her how his wife bought the slip to wear for something special and since she had never worn it he figured now was a good time. They were on their way to the funeral home.

So, today is someday!

BTW, when you find you have items such as lotions, powders, perfume, etc that you don't care for many nursing homes can use these for the residents. There are many that have no one to buy them anything special. My sister worked at a nursing home and I always gave her things to give to the residents. If you have custume jewelry that you no longer want the ladies love them for bingo prizes as well.

M

Mbandy

When I first met Susan she requested, when I was buying her a present, that I not buy lotions, bath oil, etc. because in her job, people frequently buy her little thank you gifts and that seems to be what people buy her.

That changed when she first visited me here in Vegas. She fell in love with the shampoo and conditioner they have at...ironically...the Monte Carlo. It is some special brand and they do sell regular sized bottles in the gift shop. The other day when the hotel was on fire Susan called me and left a voice mail message that the maids had probably abandoned their carts and I should get right down there to see how much shampoo I could "salvage"! :lol

P

popcorn

Since we moved into this much smaller house, I have adopted the attitude that I either use it or lose it. Same with clothes. I also seem to have an allergy thing going on.

Have fun finding 'stuff'.

Liz

K

korinalacount

If its goven to me or I buy it I use it,used to save and then asked myself what am I saving it for,yes some of my good crystal has been broken and some of my plates but at least I got to use them and see how beautiful they are,I turn up pages in my books now,take them into the tub with me and enjoy them,water damage oh well,I enjoyed the book,ect,good thread.

J

JacquieP

Guilty as charged! Guess I need to get stuff out and use it now, because after I'm gone, my daughter-in-law will just throw it away.

M

maw

I remember the drawers of nice new things my grandmother had put away-too nice to use---my mother had some things but believe me nothing is put back here (well maybe all those sets of dishes in cabinet which Paw was griping abt earlier today. Just never entertain or have need to use them.) Kids have got so they want paper when all here so won't have to spend all afternoon washing. I used to sit a nice table every Sinday for dinner-good china, crystal and silver--but that was a long time ago.

L

Lisa63

:thumb Joanne. As you give so much of yourself to others, you deserve some pampering yourselt.

N

nieciez

I hear you about the good china Maw. A couple years ago I rounded my set out with 12 more plates that I found on Replacements.com but since then we don't seem to use them as much. Last week when I had the whole crew over for dinner we used plastic ware :lol