Azamara

bob

Community Manager Part Time Dinosaur
Staff member
No didn't miss anything. Since Azamara concentrates mostly on the Mediterranean and has minimal discussion on the cruise question and community forums it just has not been a prospect for its own forum.
But for starters it can always be discussed on those two forums, just mention Azamara in the title.

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
Weren't they recently sold. ?

Bilgeclass

Youth Counselor
Weren't they recently sold. ?
Yes. Azamara was owned by RC but was recently sold to Sycamore investment group. In addition, Sycamore also
acquired another (Princess ship) to the line for a total of four ships. Modifications to the new ship have already
been completed. They are small ships with around 700 passengers and above average in service and reputation.
Looking forward to my first cruise on the Azamara Quest in November. Anyone else going?

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
Not I...Price range a bit out of my league now hat they think they are special. :) Plus unless the refurb includes making the rooms larger they are way to small for the fares.

bob

Staff member
So not knowing a lot about the line sounds like a small dedicated line specializing in a given clientele and a specialized itinerary,give or take, mostly med, that is moving on, interesting what princess ship they bought.

Bilgeclass

Youth Counselor
E
So not knowing a lot about the line sounds like a small dedicated line specializing in a given clientele and a specialized itinerary,give or take, mostly med, that is moving on, interesting what princess ship they bought.
We usually cruise on Princess, Celebrity, or Cunard and always look for bargains. Generally we choose an inside unless
we happen to hit on a super good deal. We've done balconies, Concierge class, etc. but just can't see the cost differential.
We usually end up rarely using the balcony, so why pay the extra for something we don't use?
We're quite happy with the innie. Azamara is certainly a cut above but also not Regent class. Bargains are there,
If you look.
We also like Cunard but on a transatlantic an innie can be had for a little over $100 pppn. You get the luxury
and fantastic service like everyone else. Besides we're rarely in our cabin anyway.
We certainly don't need the "fun ships". We're too old to have that kind of fun. Not interested in rock climbing walls,
water slides, constant boozing, etc.

bob

Staff member
We are basically Princess anymore but like you have been on a few brands over the years but you are never to old for fun........
Besides fun ships are cheap entertainment.... think about it.
Our first cruise was on a Carnival. Hooked us for life

bob

Staff member
Not I...Price range a bit out of my league now hat they think they are special. :) Plus unless the refurb includes making the rooms larger they are way to small for the fares.
Admit it you're just cheap ...... :!O!:

Canadian dollar take another hit ???

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
Admit it you're just cheap ...... :!O!:

Canadian dollar take another hit ???
Actually for no apparent reason to anyone for the last year or so our buck has been going up......slowly but up. Who knew . Still not great.

Bilgeclass

Youth Counselor
We are basically Princess anymore but like you have been on a few brands over the years but you are never to old for fun........
Besides fun ships are cheap entertainment.... think about it.
Our first cruise was on a Carnival. Hooked us for life
Our first four cruises were on Carnival. On the last cruise I stepped out into the hall early in the morning
only to have a drunk crash into me because he couldn't walk straight. That was the last straw. From there
we made it a point to try other cruise lines and have noticed big differences in what cruise lines have to offer.
We have done many Princess cruises and usually receive very large OBC credits because my wife and I are
both military veterans along with being Carnival Corporation shareholders. We also get the same benefits on Cunard because they also are owned by Carnival Corporation. We have received over $1100
in OBC on some cruises along with the OBC given by our TA. On our balance sheet, that goes a long way
on our cruise budget.

But then you need to factor in all the extras that are included in your Azamara cruise: No mandatory "tips"
basic drinks included, etc. And on a small ship (700 passengers) with very personalized service. You usually don't get those things free on a ship that carries five or six thousand passengers. Their FREE drinks usually carry a mandatory "gratuity" of perhaps 18% per 'free' drink. Isn't 'mandatory gratuity' a misnomer particularly when used with the term FREE drink?
I don't think Azamara thinks they are special. User reviews tend to indicate that their cruisers feel like they
are the ones who are special.
I

Bilgeclass

Youth Counselor
Yes. Azamara was owned by RC but was recently sold to Sycamore investment group. In addition, Sycamore also
acquired another (Princess ship) to the line for a total of four ships. Modifications to the new ship have already
been completed. They are small ships with around 700 passengers and above average in service and reputation.
Looking forward to my first cruise on the Azamara Quest in November. Anyone else going?
Azamara acquired the Pacific Princess which is now being remodeled and upgraded for the Azamara market.
Like Azamara's other three ships, the Princess accommodates about 680 passengers. Very small and
very personalized and it can get into many other smaller ports that the biggies cannot access because of their size and draft. It is due to enter service in 2022.

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
When X first started Azamara their pricing was WAY better but eventually they upped it to the point where regardless of perks they had departed from being a pretty good deal for a smaller well run Vessel ..picked up another ship and became "Special". Now sold I have not followed their pricing but all those perks are now built into the pricing on X's remaining ships....which are larger put still not as large as some. Although I must admit to not know what their New class (Edge ?) is actually carrying. Their new "Pretend " balconies do not appeal to me either.