Best Ports to book on a Southern Caribbean Cruise

Paradise

Southern Caribbean Cruise (leaving from Puerto Rico) Ports:

Oranjestad, Aruba****(great beaches).

Frederiksted, St. Croix, U.S.V.I. (port was recently added, it was a very clean Island, but there is not much to see and do here).

Willemstad, Curacao****(absolutely beautiful Island, definitely take a tour on this one you won't regret it).

Castries, St. Lucia****(great natural resources)

Philipsburg, St. Maarten****(great shopping, touring and food here)

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas****(great shopping, touring and Historical tours here)

All of the above were great ports with plenty of great on-board tours (Historical, Sea and Ocean activities, Nature and wildlife, Rough and Rugged) available. I have visited all of the above ports and this is strictly my opinion, would like to here some of yours.

dereckbc

Ordinary Seaman
I have been to only two of the islands on your list one time last week on my first cruise.

We went to St Thomas first and the wife and I split up. I went to play golf at Mahogany run as it was the only port of call that offered golf. Tom Fozio design, pretty good course but Tom must have been pretty mad when he designed it as it is a rather cruel and unforgiving layout, very challenging take a lot of golf balls with you.

Wife went on a short excursion to Corral Reef and really enjoyed it. She also did a little shopping and said there were some decent deals to be had with a good variety of items other than jewelry. Do not know from experience but we hear St Thomas is the Walmart of the Carribean islands and where the best deals can be found. From what little I seen on Nassau and St Martin I would tend to agree.

St Martin was our second stop on the Dutch side. We only had about 5 hours to explore so we only hit the shopping and boardwalk areas right off the water taxi area. We really liked what little we seen as there seemed to be quite a bit packed in the small area we were in. The boardwalk had lots of beach, bar, and entertainment for what looked like reasonable prices. We stooped in one little bar/grill that had a 1 Cuban cigar and two domestic beers for $3, and we both had a really good seafood lunch for about $6 each. We noticed several special like this all up and down the beach. It also looked like there would be good night entertainment and lots of hotels along this small stretch.

On the other side of the buildings by the boardwalk I think was Main Street? It was the shopping district but like Nassau was primarily jewelry stores. Did not notice any great deals on Jewelry, but we di notice and haggled for lower prices although we did not end up buying anything.

Really wished we had time to go over to the French side. This is one island i would like to come back too and stay a few days.

Royalgirl

Photograher
I loved, loved, loved St. Maarten. The water is gorgeous, the shells are gorgeous and I had some caribbean food at a restaurant right there on the boardwalk. If I could retire and live anywhere it would be there! Oh....and the prices are great for shopping. Can't wait to go back one day. My favorite by far (so far).

Natp14

Deck Crew
Hi, Can you tell me if you took a taxi to the golf course and how much it was? Part of our group would like to do some golfing? It is my understanding that is about a 20 minute ride from the port?Thanks!

Mbandy

Staff Captain
We really enjoyed Dominica. Our tour there with Bumpiing Tours was the best! They call it "Nature Island". It was beautiful.

We also loved Barbados. The people there were so friendly and snorkeling with the Sea Trutles was great.

Of course, since I live in the Desert Southwest, I have never met an Island I didn't like.