Caribbean best tours

gottagoacruzn

Environmental Compliance Officer
Hi guys, will be on the Vision ots in a few weeks, its a 12 day cruise, an the islands we're going to are St Croix, St Maarten, St Lucia, Dominica, St Kitts, an since haven't been to them before, was wonderin what the best tours to take, that show the best views of the islands & etc? Am thinkin, bout goin to Maho beach to watch the planes fly in & need to know a few things. Inquiring minds would like to know. Thanks. Virginia

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
Sorry V haven't taken a tour in the Islands but once and that was Tortola to get to the Baths.

sptrout

Shore Excursion Manager
I cannot be specific since it has been years since we have take any tours (we just stay on the ship). However, I will throw in my 2 cents.

1. St. Maarten: The French side IMO is the best for both beach actives and shopping for French products. Note that the beaches on the French side are topless or nude. So if that is a concern choose a beach that has restrictions. The most famous beach that I cannot remember the name of (it is the most well known) has both nude and clothing sections. However, people from either side can walk between the two so it is nearly completely unrestricted.

2. St. Lucia: I would recommend a tour that takes you to see the famous twin mountains. We took a combination bus and boat tour during our last visit. Great time.

3. St. Kitts: The Railroad Tour is well known and probably the most popular, however we found it rather boring. Easy way to see the island. During our last visit we just walked into downtown (just off the cruise pier) and shopped around. For the first time during any of our cruises I bought a new diamond ring to replace one that was lost several years ago. We got a great price at a small jewelry store just a short distance from the ship. My wife got them to reduce the MRSP price by about 50%. When we got back home we had it appraised for insurance purposes and it appraised for almost exactly the MRSP prices.

4. We have not been to St. Croix; one of the few cruise ship capable islands that we have missed in the Caribbean.

sptrout

Shore Excursion Manager
I forgot to mention Dominica. Although it is one of the least visited ports, Dominica is one of the most beautiful islands. Not as commercial as other islands, but shopping is still available if that is your thing. Known as the "Spice Island" expect many opportunities to buy spices of many kinds. Another good choice is an Island Tour. Dominica, like many islands in the east, have mountains with a lot of tropical vegetation. Great beach not far from the port that is well known and worth a visit if you like beaches. All-in-all a nice stop with many options and a peaceful place to visit as compared to many other islands.

seamom

Staff Captain
Well, I've noticed there's not much there, rcl doesn't have many tours available, but can look into the island tour. Thanks.
Dominica twenty years ago on our only visit was truly like being on an undiscovered island. We took a minivan with friends for a ‘tour’ and there was nothing to be seen but trees and houses though we heard on a much longer trip on rough roads, there were rugged hikes and gorgeous waterfalls. We felt the irony of being taken to a mediocre motel called Castaways and the photos of us looking very confused bring back memories of wondering why he took us there! No beach in sight! I was curious to hear what the changes might be! Wish I could find it but here’s the town back then.

Attachments

• IMG_2464.jpeg
    IMG_2464.jpeg
    506.4 KB · Views: 19

George C

Staff Captain
I cannot be specific since it has been years since we have take any tours (we just stay on the ship). However, I will throw in my 2 cents.

1. St. Maarten: The French side IMO is the best for both beach actives and shopping for French products. Note that the beaches on the French side are topless or nude. So if that is a concern choose a beach that has restrictions. The most famous beach that I cannot remember the name of (it is the most well known) has both nude and clothing sections. However, people from either side can walk between the two so it is nearly completely unrestricted.

2. St. Lucia: I would recommend a tour that takes you to see the famous twin mountains. We took a combination bus and boat tour during our last visit. Great time.

3. St. Kitts: The Railroad Tour is well known and probably the most popular, however we found it rather boring. Easy way to see the island. During our last visit we just walked into downtown (just off the cruise pier) and shopped around. For the first time during any of our cruises I bought a new diamond ring to replace one that was lost several years ago. We got a great price at a small jewelry store just a short distance from the ship. My wife got them to reduce the MRSP price by about 50%. When we got back home we had it appraised for insurance purposes and it appraised for almost exactly the MRSP prices.

4. We have not been to St. Croix; one of the few cruise ship capable islands that we have missed in the Caribbean.
StMaarten beach is Orient beach , beautiful beach with lots of restaurants but not for prudes
St Kitts , I also read positive things on the railroad tour , interesting island , it has more monkeys living there than people and like there black sand beach’s.