Checking in from SoCal

D

defritz

Hey, all!

We're doing okay here. We have fires to the N, NE, E and S of us. We're in a little pocket of the county that appears to be out of the way. However, we are on the very edge of a predicted evacuation zone, so we're still on high-alert.

Lots of smoke and ash yesterday. Today is better, with the coastal wind pushing most of it east. Dry eyes, scratchy throat and sinus issues continue.

My husband's aunt was evacuated Monday afternoon from the Rice Canyon fire that is north of us. She is staying with my MIL (lives close to me) until she gets the okay to go home. We're 90% sure her home was spared. She's called her home and gotten her answering machine, maps show the fire has stopped just to the east of her... but she's still (obviously) concerned.

I'm at work today trying to regain some sense of normalcy. Two days of being cooped up in the house, doing nothing but watching the news, getting little sleep and preparing to evacuate is exhausting! (A small bit of sarcasm. I know others are much worse off.)

I hope that any others living in this area are okay. Please check in if you can.

PS: Bobbie, you guys are okay right?? I don't think the fire has gone that far north?? Although, one coworker who lives off the 79, east of the 15 said she could see fire last night.

G

GloBug

Thanks for checking in. It's a scary situation down there. My SIL and her DH are packed and awaiting word to get out with their dog... so far, it's just wait and worry...

D

Donna - dsw

Sorry to hear all this - just hope you all stay safe - hate to loose material things - but much worse to loose your life!

N

nieciez

Glad to see you check in...now to hear from Bobbie! I know someone said she posted on Monday on the other board but a lot has happened since then.

S

sage

Thanks for checking in. We are glad that you are safe, and I hope it continues that way.

A

audrey

thanks for checking in I am glad that everything is ok. I wish we would hear from Bobby I am concern since we have not heard from her.
All is back to normal here the kids went back to school today also.
I am so tried and watching it on tv also they are not showing it all day now just on the news I feel very bad about anyone that has lost their home.

T

Tobyn

A former coworker that now lives in Ramona sent an email to us letting us know he is okay. He has evacuated, and only has a very few things and his cats. He too said he called and got his answering machine so he THINKS his house is okay, but will have to wait and see. Sure hope you all do oaky as well.

M

mrsrocster

I used to live in El Cajon (East of San Diego) so this strikes a nerve with me. I just couldn't imagine having to leave your own home, gathering what belongings you think you need, trying to find your important documents etc.... in a short amount of time and then not know if your home is gone or was spared.... I live in Florida and we have to prepare for hurricanes, but it just seems a little different to me. Preparing for a hurricane usually means you have more than a few minutes or hours, with a wildfire, you may not have much time at all......I just can't imagine.

Prayers continue for everyone affected, the firefighters, the pilots dropping water/fire retardent, everyone that is helping to house/feed/care for the evacuees(sp?). I'm sure there are many more to thank and pray for.

B

Brian J

Smoke here in San Bernardino/Highland is really bad but we can't see the flames yet so I guess thats a good sign!

R

reggae

Erin,so glad you checked in and you are okay. Hope those winds die down so that they can put an end to all those fires.

Take care...

K

Kiffen

We live near the Pasadena area and are ok as well. We have a lot of family and friends that have been evacuated due to many of these fires...so far everyone is ok.

Hope everyone else is ok as well.

Kiffen

C

conniecat

Thanks guys for checking in. Hope everyone is OK. I have a friend in Thousand Oaks with severe breathing problems. Her area is OK, but the smoke is very hard on her.

S

ShipMaven

Thanks for posting, Erin. I certainly hope your home - and everybody's around you - is spared.

Please update us when you can.

B

bostongal

:wave Thanks for checking in! I hope everyone is okay and am thinking of all of you!

Meg