Dolphin Swims

M

Melissa M

Hi! I have booked my first cruise on the Celebrity"s Galaxy in March 2003 going to the Western Caribbean. I have enjoyed reading about the joys of going on a cruise. Here are my questions: Dolphin Dicovery has a Dolphin swim for $119 in Cozumel. Dolphin Encounters has a Dolphin Swim for $145 in Nassau. Does anyone know why there is a price difference? Is one better than the other? Also, I have not been able to get an answer directly from e-mailing these 2 places but: I hesitate to book an excurion outside the cruise ship in case the port stop gets canceled due to weather. I know the odds are slim, but from what I am reading, it can happen. Two sites say if you cancel less than 24 hours , you are not eligible for a refund. If on the ship and the port stop is canceled, I'd be out of luck. What has everyone else experienced? Sorry this questin is so lengthy, but this is the only topic I can't find the answers to. Thanks in advance for any help you all can be! Melissa

K

Karen Schmidt

I would go with the one in Cozumel. Its in Chankanaab Park, which is absolutely lovely. Also, when I was reading their information, I noticed an asterisk next to the section about refunds. At the bottom there is a note stating that if you are on a cruise and your ship cancels the Cozumel day, they will give you full refund. Seems like a pretty safe bet to me. I leave for the Galaxy 10 day Western Caribbean cruise out of Baltimore in 27 days. I'm seriously considering booking the Dolphin Swim or Encounter (I haven't decided which). If you'd like, you can e-mail me and I'll let you know how it goes. - Karen

R

Rick & Kathy

If you get the oppurtunity do the dolphin swim. The encounter you stand at the edge of the water, you get you picture taken and get to pet the dolphin. We did and encounter and were disappointed, more so when we watched the next group don life jackets and get in and interact with the dolphin.

V

Vic

We did the dolphin swim in Cozumel and absolutely loved it!!! Best thing on the whole cruise. The dolphins push and pull you through the water and it is awesome!! You also get to pet them and have your picture made, and they shoot a video of the whole thing...of course it costs extra but well worth it. We booked through dolphindiscovery.com and had no problems. They take you in small groups so everyone has fun. You can email me if you have more questions. Don't miss it!!

J

Joyce

I am also trying to figure out from the dolphindiscovery website exactly what is the difference between the Encounter and the Swim. The pictures show people actually in the water with the dolphins during the Encounter. Is this true? Or as one person said, the people stand around and just watch the dolphins during the Encounter.

I would love to hear from true-life participants what happens for the $65US. vs the $119US

Thanks so much

B

BurBunny

During the encounter, you stand on a platform and you do get to touch and "kiss" the dolphins, but you're not fully in the water or swimming with them. The dolphin swim is just that - you're in the water, swimming and interacting, and they also perform set activities with you, like the foot push (they push you through the water by putting their snout on your feet).

V

Vic

In the dolphin swim, they push you by your feet, and you also hold on to their fins and they pull you through the water...fast!! It is so much fun...we did this in May and absolutely loved it.

E

elke

Melissa

i have done these in the XARET Park in Mexiko. But i have pay for touching and
explaining about the dolphins, just 50 Dollar. If you would like to swim with
the dolphins sim. 1 hour , you pay absolutly min. 100 Dollar. But it looks like
very good and it feels very good.

Have fun.
Elke

E

elke

Melissa

i have done these in the XARET Park in Mexiko. But i have pay for touching and
explaining about the dolphins, just 50 Dollar. If you would like to swim with
the dolphins sim. 1 hour , you pay absolutly min. 100 Dollar. But it looks like
very good and it feels very good.

Have fun.
Elke

T

tokathy

We did the one in the Bahamas (called Blue Lagoon) it was an encounter only. You and dozens of others take turn standing on a platform suspended in the water (you are up to you thighs/waist in the water) and you get your turn to touch, get kissed by and feel the teeth of the dolphin...by no stretch of the imagination is it a Dolphin Swim. Definitely and Encounter and not of the greatest kind! The price was around $90-$100 pp and they would sell you the video or picture of you being kissed by the dolphin for an additional amount......even the one at Discovery Cove in Orlando Florida was better! at least you got pulled in the water, etc. Do one of the ones in Cozumel as the previous writers suggested.....ENJOY

Kathy from NJ

M

Melissa M

Thank you all for the information you have shared. It has been quite helpful.
Melissa