Formal nights of 7 day cruises

H

Hersheys

Just wondering on 7 day cruises leaving on a Sunday, which days are the 2 formal nights...
Is it like Monday night and Thursday night?

N

Natalia

It differs, depends where you are going, etc... best way to find out is to call the cruise lines customer service, they will know for sure. At least thats what I do.

NRICHARD55

It is too bad that most people do not experience Formal night the way we used to. Gone are the really nice long dresses, shoes, and jewelry that all of us girls wore. I can understand the men not wanting to wear a tuxedo anymore, but I love watching a nice looking man in a great suit and tie. I also loved to see all the fantastic gowns that the all of us women wore and how special everyone felt on that night. Unless you are going to a very high end wedding, who gets to dress that way anymore? Going on a cruise and dressing u was a treat.
Can’t blame the passengers for everything though. The cruise lines have certainly done their share in cutting back on Formal night. No more white glove service as years gone by, no more sommeliers, no more of the little cordial shots they would come around with, picture taking leaves a lot to be desired. My iPhone takes better pictures then some of these photographers. Formal night meals are nothing special, and God forbid if you want a 2nd lobster. Now you have to pay for it. No offense, but I live in New England. I eat Maine and New England lobsters all year long. Having to pay for a second “Caribbean” lobster is an insult. Everyone has to pay so much more now to support these humongous ships, employees, port taxes, fuel, internet service, watered down drinks, room service, port tours, entertainment, private Island amenities, and gratuities, the whole industry has just become a nickel and Dime the customer industry. Did you ever hear of “don’t bite the hand that feeds you?”
The old days of saying “ I went on a cruise and it was unbelievable” are gone. Now it is “I went on a cruise and I can’t believe how much it cost me. Next time I will do an AI Island resort and at least I will get what I paid for. “.
What are some of the things you remember about the good ole days of cruising? I’ll start:
1. Midnight Buffets with the showcasing the artistic flair of all the Chefs and kitchen staff.
2. Midnight chocolate buffets. Besides being so delicious, everything was an amazing work of art. The line to get in was always an hour long. Even at midnight!!!

Your turn.

rena0668

2007 we went on a family cruise with my dad and siblings and some of the grands. The Chocolate buffet was amazing, such talent from the kitchen staff. On formal night we all dressed in our finest including my 9 year old son and dad in their tuxes. My son was so excited to match! The show that night was a ventriloquist and my son insisted on sitting in the front row needless to say by the middle of the show the guy had my dad up on stage as his “dummy”. We have never laughed so hard. He was a celebrity the rest of the cruise

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
It is too bad that most people do not experience Formal night the way we used to. Gone are the really nice long dresses, shoes, and jewelry that all of us girls wore. I can understand the men not wanting to wear a tuxedo anymore, but I love watching a nice looking man in a great suit and tie. I also loved to see all the fantastic gowns that the all of us women wore and how special everyone felt on that night. Unless you are going to a very high end wedding, who gets to dress that way anymore? Going on a cruise and dressing u was a treat.
Can’t blame the passengers for everything though. The cruise lines have certainly done their share in cutting back on Formal night. No more white glove service as years gone by, no more sommeliers, no more of the little cordial shots they would come around with, picture taking leaves a lot to be desired. My iPhone takes better pictures then some of these photographers. Formal night meals are nothing special, and God forbid if you want a 2nd lobster. Now you have to pay for it. No offense, but I live in New England. I eat Maine and New England lobsters all year long. Having to pay for a second “Caribbean” lobster is an insult. Everyone has to pay so much more now to support these humongous ships, employees, port taxes, fuel, internet service, watered down drinks, room service, port tours, entertainment, private Island amenities, and gratuities, the whole industry has just become a nickel and Dime the customer industry. Did you ever hear of “don’t bite the hand that feeds you?”
The old days of saying “ I went on a cruise and it was unbelievable” are gone. Now it is “I went on a cruise and I can’t believe how much it cost me. Next time I will do an AI Island resort and at least I will get what I paid for. “.
What are some of the things you remember about the good ole days of cruising? I’ll start:
1. Midnight Buffets with the showcasing the artistic flair of all the Chefs and kitchen staff.
2. Midnight chocolate buffets. Besides being so delicious, everything was an amazing work of art. The line to get in was always an hour long. Even at midnight!!!

Your turn.

3. Regular seatings and no anytime options.
4. Quite rooms with applicable music.

George C

Staff Captain
World of difference between formal now compared to a decade or two ago , currently you will see way more shorts and jeans , tuxedos are totally rare , I last wore mine about 8 years ago, started wearing them in mid 1980’s.

packercruising

Lecturer

Your turn.
That is the 1st thing I thought of when I saw this thread. Used to be suits and ties and the women would wear a nice dress. Formal, as we used to know it, is gone. Now they call it smart casual.
1. Main Dining Room used to be special. Now if you want special, you have to pay extra.
2. Now people complain it they don't get a towel animal each night.
3. We never used to need a reservation to go to the nightly shows.

Woody14

Pool Attendant
Is formal night optional? (sorry newbie asking)
What do you mean by optional. the night happens you can't opt out. You do not have to participate in any dressing up, most do, some do not. It really is just like any other night on board they are just wanting you to dress up, there are lots of picture opportunities that night that many take advantage of.

George C

Staff Captain
What do you mean by optional. the night happens you can't opt out. You do not have to participate in any dressing up, most do, some do not. It really is just like any other night on board they are just wanting you to dress up, there are lots of picture opportunities that night that many take advantage of.
Totally disagree with most people dressing up on rccl , I find it rare to see anyone dressed up . decade ago maybe , I always had a tux up to about 8 years ago now don’t even wear a sports jacket.

Woody14

Pool Attendant
Totally disagree with most people dressing up on rccl , I find it rare to see anyone dressed up . decade ago maybe , I always had a tux up to about 8 years ago now don’t even wear a sports jacket.
sorry didn't want to open the whole can of worms as to what is considered dressing up. For many putting on a button up shirt is dressing up. Sports jackets, ties, suits or tuxedos would be a whole other level. I was referring that most dress up more than the daytime resort wear.