Golden Princess 10/1/05

P

puglover

Just wondering if anyone else is going on the Golden Princess the week of 10/1 - 10/8 to Canada and New England!

P

puggie

I just couldn't believe it when I saw this post. My user name is puggie. I assume you have a pug???? Ha. We are booked on this cruise as well. I was just going to post to try to get ideas of what are "must-sees".........I was hoping someone who has been on this cruise could help. We are kind of leaning towards doing our own thing in each of the ports, but would like suggestions. What are you planning on doing. There are 5 of us going. My brother and his wife, my hubby and my mother. How about you??

P

puglover

Puggie!!

Yes!! We do have a pug, and she is spoiled rotten!!! Do you have one also? My wife and I have been on 4 cruises together and my wife has been on an Alaska cruise (without me). Every other cruise has been to the Caribbean; this is our first Canada/New England cruise. We are unsure of exactly what kind of shore excursions we want to do. I was stationed in Newport RI for almost 3 years in the Navy and I have also been to Boston. I believe you will love those ports of call. The historic walk in Boston is really nice, and the coastal drive in Newport to see the mansions is pretty neat also. I don't think you can really go wrong regardless of what you do in those cities. We have never been to the other ports of call. I kind of want to do the Titanic shore excursion in Halifax, because I am a big Titanic buff. I'm not sure if my wife will do that one with me or not. Is this your first cruise?? Have you cruised with Princess before? We have done 1 with Carnival, 2 with Celebrity and 1 with Royal Caribbean. My wife did the Alaska cruise on Celebrity last September.

If you have any questions about cruising that I may be able to answer, please let me know!!

P

puggie

Oh yes, we have a little female pug who runs the house. She is a mess, but we love her dearly. We have been on several cruises. They have been on Princess and Royal Caribbean. We have been to Alaska twice, Panama Canal, the Caribbean twice, Hawaii, and the Med. This is our first time for Canada /New England too. I am really looking forward to it. I posted on the questions forum ,as well as this one, and I got some good information. You might want to check that one too. Also, I was reading some posts on cruise critics on the Canada/New England destination and got quite a bit of good information. My husband is a history buff, so I am sure he will be in every museum. I am more the sight seeing type. Did you and your wife sign up for any of the shore excursions? Have you been on the Golden before? We were on her about when she was brand new. We love the ship.

P

puglover

Puggie,
We have not signed up yet for any shore excursions. We are still trying to make up our mind. What did you like about the Golden Princess?? Did you do the anytime dining? That is what we are signed up for. I think I will like that as opposed to a particular seating time like we have always done before.

P

puggie

Yes, we are doing the personal choice dining. I think it will be better for us, not so structured. No, we have not signed up for any shore excursions. We are leaning toward going on our own. We will either rent a car, or rent a taxi. We like the freedom of being on our own time frame. I have been doing a lot of research on each port, so we will narrow down what we want to do. Yes, we did love the Golden. It was a beautiful ship when we were on it 3 years ago. I hope it still is. It never seemed crowded, and we loved being able to go to different restaurants for dinner instead of just the main dining room. It is a large ship, but easy to get around. It had lots of good places to sit and have a drink and listen to entertainment. Really looking forward to Oct.

H

Helen

We will be on this cruise also. Have been on the Golden before and love it. Love the personal choice dining. There will be 5 of us, daughter & son-in-law and son and daughter-in-law and myself. The one shore excursion we are going to take is the one to Peggy's Cove on Halifax. We were going to rent a car but some on on Cruise Critic who had done this tour said the taxis were everywhere and they decided that was the best way to go as parking was really a problem most places due to crowds. Going a day ahead of time to N.Y. and will see a show. This will be my 19th. cruise and 7th. with Princess.

P

puggie

Hey puglover, have you decided on any shore excursions yet? We are still debating......Where do you live? We are in Texas. I am getting so excited. It won't be long now. I am getting so excited.

P

puglover

Puggie,

We have pretty much decided on which shore excursions we are going to take. In Halifax, my wife wants to do The Costal drive to Peggy's Cove and I am going to do the Titanic excursion. In St. John, we are planning on doing the St. Martins getaway. In Bar Harbor, we are wanting to do the Whale Watching tour. In Boston, the Plymouth Colonial past and Lobster roll, and in Newport , we haven't decided on whether or not we are going to do the Rose Island and Lighthouse Cruise or just go out on our own. By the way, we live in Kentucky. We are very excited about this cruise also. I think we are more excited about this one than the Caribbean ones we have done.

Robin