Golden Princess, 9/19

S

sodostan

This is the first cruise in a long time where my husband and I are traveling alone and not with a group. We are looking forward to meeting our fellow travelers. We are flying to San Juan on 9/18. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive, decent hotel for our night in San Juan before the cruise?

J

jan t.

It looks like you didn't get any replies to your question. I too am thinking of booking this cruise and will arrive on the 18th. Did you ever book a hotel? Princess is asking for $109/person at the Marriott. I thought that was rather high. I saw a few rates lower at travelocity. Also do you have any advice on booking land tours?
Thanks for any help...
Jan

S

sodostan

Hi!

We just got news that we have been upgraded from an inside cabin on Caribe Deck to an outside cabin (obstructed view) on Emerald Deck, from category JJ to category F. Upgrades are always nice!

After lots of running around on the Internet, I decided to try the Best Western Hotel Pierre. The Internet price was pretty good, but I decided to call Best Western, anyway. They quoted me an even higher price than the Internet. When I informed them of this, they gave us a room in "the tower", queen-sized bed, for $90, which includes a continental breakfast, so I booked it for the night of the 18th. I have been led to understand that $90 for a hotel in San Juan is a pretty good price.

I heard from someone on this site that there is a supermarket across the street with very low prices on alcoholic beverages. The beach is straight down the street. It is on the Atlantic side of the island, so may have some fairly rough surf. The gentleman who told me this information also recommended a restaurant ...Bebo's Cafe...which apparently serves very good local food at reasonable prices. We will probably try it for dinner on Saturday night.

I am starting to investigate land tours. So far, it seems like there is good shopping on St. Maarten and St. Thomas. All of the islands have wonderful beaches (I am a beach person, my husband much less so). It seems like we may do most of our exploring on our own, perhaps taking a cab if there is something we want to see. We have been to Barbados and St. Lucia in recent years and did some touring then. Antigua and St. Maarten are new to us. Both my husband and I have been to St. Thomas, as well.

We booked this cruise because the price was good. I talked to someone at Princess a couple of weeks ago and was told it was not sold out, so you will probably get a good deal, as well.

Let me know if you decide to go and what you have decided about a hotel . Looking forward to hearing from you!

J

jan t.

Thanks for all the great info! I have actually reserved the trip without payment....I have 48 hours to decide for sure! Your price on the hotel sounds much better than what Princess offers. Will look into that when we make our final decision.
The supermarket close by is a great extra! Will probably stock up on a few things before boarding!
Last cruise we were told not to bring any beverages, but when we saw luggage being loaded aboard, there were cases of water and soda! I don't drink enough soda to justify buying the $22 soda card, but I like one or two a day....so i'll probably try to b.y.o.p.!
Princess offered us a BA balcony room for $799 per person. I think thats a great deal and thats what we'll do if we go. I think it's on Lido deck. That worries me a bit, but hope it won't bother our sleeping...

Happy cruising!
Maybe we can share a table one night at dinner!

S

sodostan

We were booked into an inside cabin on Caribe Deck. We paid about $500 pp. Now we have been upgraded to E602. You will love your balcony.

We are trying Personal Choice Dining for the first time. Would love to meet you. Feel free to reply to sodostan@aol.com!