Help!!! EASY Filet Mignon recipe needed!

L

Lisa

Well, instead of going out to a family friend's house on Christmas (death in the family), we are going to do a meal for 4 at my Dad's. I've been told that the meat dish will be 4 beef tenderloin filets (about 9 ounces each). Does anyone have an easy and tasty recipe using the broiler in the oven or the stove top? It's going to be too cold to grill out! Thanks in advance!

B

Beryl

It's never to cold to grill out! We here in the Great White North grill outdoors all year long!!! Be brave and go for the grill!

L

Lisa

Beryl - I'm from the Great White North and the one griller in the family will not be home for this meal! Arrrgghhh!

C

Corky

We like to salt the filet, then wrap it in bacon and smother the whole filet with cracked peppercorn. And then serve with a Bearnaise sauce. Enjoy your dinner!! :)

M

Mgram

Lisa, Giada had a great recipe earlier this week......started in a pan, finished in the oven......topped with butter and a balsamic vinegar glaze......off to find it......stay tuned. FOUND IT! Printing it for myself, too....have thinking about this all week. Here it is:

Filet Mignon with Balsamic Syrup and Goat Cheese
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
Show: Everyday Italian
Episode: Gooey Good Food

1 1/2 cups balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons butter
6 (5 to 6-ounce) filet mignon steaks (each about 1-inch thick)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 ounces soft fresh goat cheese

Boil the balsamic vinegar and sugar in a heavy small saucepan over medium-high heat until reduced to 1/3 cup, stirring occasionally, about 18 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat the broiler. Melt the butter in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the steaks with salt and pepper. Cook the steaks to desired doneness, about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer the steaks to a baking sheet. Crumble the cheese over the steaks and broil just until the cheese melts, about 1 minute. Sprinkle with pepper.

Transfer the steaks to plates. Drizzle the balsamic sauce around the steaks and serve.

N

nieciez

Pat, that recipe sounds great. I do mine like Corky except without the cracked pepper, I do marinate with a bit of worchestershire sauce 20 minutes before grilling.

B

bOB

Fine bread crumbs seasoned with oregano, garlic, rosemary, thyme.
one cup breadcrumbs
tblspoon oregano
tspoon garlic
½ tspoon rosemary
½ tspoon thyme

Olive oil

Coat each side of a fillet with olive oil by dipping in a shallow bowl
of oil then coat with breadcrumb mixture.

Bake on a baking sheet coated with a fine film of cooking spray
on middle rack at 350º time will depend on how oven cooks and
how rare or well the fillet is desired.

This has been known to go well with Mal D's cream greens

BTW this recipe is from a 45 year old 4 star restaurant in the unlikely
town of Johnsville, CA about an hour from Reno. The Iron Door is the only active business in the town of Johnsville and you can forget dinner if you don't get there early on a Friday or Saturday night. This steak was never on the regular menu, was served as a specialty only occasionally.

L

Lisa

Thanks, bOB! Can you give me an estimated time for how long to cook it for medium rare? And do you turn the meat over halfway through cooking? I will be making this and Mgram's recipes both in the future!

B

bOB

I'm guessing about 15-20 minutes and a lot depends on the thickness but make one the sacrificial lamb and cut the middle and keep an eye on it. The times I have made this I cook very rare and have cooked about 12oz pieces and cook for about 15 minutes. No need to turn them.