I Feel like we've been told to walk the plank

J

John

Hi Hucc, I can assure you and tell you directly that its not mine or anyone elses intention to make you or others feel like you have to walk the plank or move to ANY other board.

Some people have felt that our Community Board has become a place for just off-topic posts. Is this true, not entirely. This has caused allot of people to not participate or post cruise or community related topics as they once did. I also helped this by allowing "Off Topic" posts to be made and even promoted it somewhat during the past years as more "specialized boards" were added. Whats become apparent is this is not working. So all I'm asking is that we refocus things alittle. Just ask yourself a few questions.

1. Is this post cruise related in someway?
2. Is this post relevant to the community in someway?

Will every post be perfect, no. Although we will once again have some definition.

B

Bobbie

I'm glad to see a move toward more cruise-oriented postings! There's still this board for the prayer requests, Maw's office posts, Connie's pictures, and general posts. =dunno

H

Hucc

John, as you know, I appreciate your site and all the work you and your helpers put into it.

I think it's great we have our own place. Perhaps it's the name that rubbed me the wrong way. The "AFT" is like the back of the bus.

Maybe if you called it the Atrium. :) :)

Thanks, John, for being such a cool and understanding board owner/ captain!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb

G

Gayle V

No Hucc, you've got to think about it like you're on a ship. The aft deck is the best place to be. I just love aft pools, and aft verandah's. Love aft views. There's nothing like sitting with an umbrella drink in your hand, watching that wake and chatting with your friends and family.

Just give all the regulars a day to two to find their way over here and it'll look and feel just like home.

B

Beryl

Gayle, I'm hoping it soon feels like home. Frankly I'm having a difficult time with it. The Community Board was just that ... a Community. Good things, bad things, upcoming cruises, past cruises. A community is about people it is not about discussion topics.

It was my understanding that the Q&A board was developed so that there would be a specific place to discuss cruise only topics and that the Community Board was left in place so that our "cruising community" could discuss whatever their little hearts desired. I think it might have been a better idea to leave the community board as it was and start the new board for cruise related only discussion! Then, maybe like Hucc others wouldn't feel that they have been made to "walk the plank"! After all, so many people that do post on the Community Board have done so for many years. It would have been interesting to see how well a cruise only topic board might have fared.....and it might have been interesting for John to see how many of those who actually voiced complaints about the Community Board actually made postings.

In my opinion the Community Board was never so busy that it was difficult to pass over non cruise related threads if I didn't want to read them. To me the new change just serves to fragment this site even more! Guess I will get used to it though.

B

Bobbie

The "Community Board" should be deleted since it's basically covered by the "Cruise Q&A Board". I think it's too confusing, especially for newbies.

I think it'd be better to just have:

1. The Aft Deck
2. Cruise Q&A
3. The main cruise line boards

I think any more boards than that and everyone is spread WAY too thinly.

I'm hoping more of our "oldies" will come back if John's site is restructured a little. :)

B

bostongal

I am hoping that I can remember where to post and go to find all my friends. I barely make it to the Community Board every day and never read all the posts there but I have added the Aft Deck to my favorites to help make it a habit. If I seem lost will someone come find me? =lol

Cruise related or non-Cruise related threads never mattered to me. One of the greatest things about this board is the real sense of community and support. I hope that this change doesn't make that disappear.

Meg

G

GloBug

I think of it this way... the Aft Deck is a gathering place, where we come together with our frozen thingees, recipes, chat about this and that, look at each other's pics, send our prayers to those who need them, and just have a fun time.

The Community Board is a place for cruise related topics that don't fit the other boards. I suspect the other boards don't get used by US much, because we have all congregated on the Community Board, but when a newbie comes by looking for cruise related topics, and they check out the dedicated boards, they aren't really finding what they need, so they go on to other boards.

If THEY aren't here, the sponsors know, and if the sponsors aren't here, after a while, there is no HERE.

Let's all support the Capt, and the difficult decisions he makes to keep C@ going for all of us.

C

cycofan

I see both sides of this change. As long as we have a place to call "home" I'm good with it. Though, I do feel like we are a bit "buried" in the special interest section. Maybe we could call it "MAw's Office" and put it under the community board on the forums link?

H

herb

[quote Bobbie]The "Community Board" should be deleted since it's basically covered by the "Cruise Q&A Board". I think it's too confusing, especially for newbies.

I think it'd be better to just have:

1. The Aft Deck
2. Cruise Q&A
3. The main cruise line boards

I think any more boards than that and everyone is spread WAY too thinly.

I'm hoping more of our "oldies" will come back if John's site is restructured a little. :)[/quote]

Came over to the aft deck to see what's going on and once again Bobbie... I agree with you 10,000%

R

rooy

change can be challenging, but personally, change keeps me on my toes.
plus, "The Aft" gives me another reason to be on the site longer each day!

-leslie

A

audrey

I agree about removeing community section and then I think everyone will feel better we have been so used to posting on the cummunity board and if they will to change its name to aft to be our new home that would be ok

C

conniecat

Thanks, Hucc. Me too. I agree with Bobbie, too. I was going to post this on this last night when this board appeared, but I decided to wait until someone else went first. I am sooooo confused.

This is supposed to be for OT posts, but MAW'S office is not directly cruise related, and it is "over there". Einstein's morning and evening posts are now on the community board. The weather is "over there" also, one of my favorite posts. I don't know how to tell what is community related and what is not.

I agree we are too fragmented. Too many places to check, I ususally just give up and stay in one place. I hope others find their way here, and don't have such a hard time trying to figure it out that they just give up. My friend Debbie joined, but she already said the board was too hard to navigate so she gave up.

I will continue to post my photos, captions etc here if you guys still want them.

B

Bobbie

Yes, Connie! :thumb Although, I have no idea where you should post them! :roll I suppose if it's a cat by a ship or water, you would post it on the Community Board? And if it isn't, it should be on The Aft Deck? :? :?

B

bostongal

All day I have been wanting to post a chatty thread about what's for dinner and I can't for the life of me decide which board it belongs on. Since it is not cruise related then I would assume here but you know what they say about assuming! =lolgang

I will get the hang of it but I am checking these two boards constantly now and as we get closer to the Escape cruise it will be three. Luckily for me I don't leave the house much or work so I have all day to get everywhere so I can see all my friends.

BTW - Just to clarify my statement above - when I said cruise related or non-cruise related - I meant that I never cared what the topic was I read as many as I could. I apparently am having a problem with coherent thought today! :)

Meg