Kettle with surge protection plug in the cabin - Holland America Koningsdam

jenwang

First time cruiser. Am wonder if I could bring a tiny kettle (I have a surge protection plug) to be used in the cabin.
Not very keen on calling room service. Go with seniors they need hot water sometimes at night time and probably not close to the restaurant, not convenient for them.
Appreciate it if anyone knows the answer.

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
The answer is "Not allowed" I have heard though that some folks bring one like you are suggesting and have made it through the cruise with out seizure.

sptrout

Shore Excursion Manager
Surge protectors are bad news on any ship/boat/canoe or anything that floats on water and has AC power. They are a fire hazard and have caused ship fires; cruise ships and other ships. As for a tea kettle, not allowed (with or without a surge protector), but you may get it on board, security cannot catch everything. Even if it does get though your cabin attendant may grab it (not likely IMO). Look on HAL's website and look for the section that lists items that are not allowed. I do not think that "tea kettles" will be specifically called out, but other similar items may be. But, in case you want to try, buy a new one without a surge protector.