Koningsdam, 7 Day Inside Passage, Alaska, June 1, 2023 (day 1 end & 2

seamom

Staff Captain
Finishing 1st day cruising) and on to Day 2 Inside Passage:
We wouldn’t enjoy many sunsets or sunrises on this trip as usual. Timing was off at night, whether missed while in a show, weather or heading to bed. We also lost another hour time change enroute so our mental time clocks never adjusted fully. I’d be up some mornings at 4:30 and 5:30am when the sun was already bright, searching for whales! Yes, caught a couple now and then but only of wee misty spouts and their backs as they skimmed the surface for a second.
Evenings after dinner, we’d catch the brief shows on MainStage if there was one and then briefly wander to watch some music, play a trivia game or watch a comedian in the Music Walk deck where a corridor contains a piano bar in Billboard, a rock band in Rolling Stone Rock Room, and a jazz/blues band(my fav) in the Queens Lounge.
What do you do on a day at sea? Watch for whales, sun up to sundown, always on the horizon for that wee misty signal that something large may break the surface while enjoying the changing landscape of islands and shore. We were portside(left, facing the bow) so mainland was on the other side. No matter as we’d only sit so long bundled in coats and ship wool blankets before touring the ship’s other side and partaking in another major activity, eating.
Everything is slotted into what feels like a chain of the three major meals and though no longer the nibblers of the past, we managed to fit in an afternoon tea. To be more health careful, we were less social to begin and sat at tables for two in our open sittings but loosened to enjoy larger groups later (which Bob attributes to our final demise).
One morning, I fit in a watercolour class between meals. Always room to learn more and be humbled by first timers who pick up a brush and create better results. This time the poorest quality paper and brushes with two dots of paint certainly challenged so hopefully didn’t dampen any eager spirits, of which there were many as these classes were very popular to the max so get there early. I didn’t keep my jellyfish attempt.
In cutbacks, second cabin check and bed turn down are only done by request which we found unnecessary. However, randomly, our steward would leave a towel animal and chocolates which we might have missed otherwise.
As it was a sea day, it was also one of the dressier nights, the long gone ’formal night’ where now, anything goes. Bob may have dragged along his last nice jacket and shirt, this cruise, though I appreciated it. Black pants and several changes of twinkly tops and earrings work for me. Comfort reigns.

Attachments

• 8CA56749-ED5B-4050-9541-588A325ECEDE.jpeg
    8CA56749-ED5B-4050-9541-588A325ECEDE.jpeg
    774.8 KB · Views: 6
  • E134801C-25A1-4ADC-940C-52B0998B7DA3.jpeg
    E134801C-25A1-4ADC-940C-52B0998B7DA3.jpeg
    627.6 KB · Views: 6
  • C8BB0EE5-C5A8-43F0-A47D-78B3A5FB8E23.jpeg
    C8BB0EE5-C5A8-43F0-A47D-78B3A5FB8E23.jpeg
    722.4 KB · Views: 6

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
Whale (Orca's) sightings very few down here too. Saw some largish seals yesterday at the Point but just not the same. !!

red stripe

Staff Captain
Thanks Seamom,
I am enjoying reading your adventures and seeing the photos.

I have yet to make it to afternoon tea! Perhaps one day….
I am pretty “ crafty” but watercolours are way above my skill level. I tried it once onboard, but all I ended up with was a blob..lol

seamom

Staff Captain
I hate to compare but I enjoyed the tea on HAL in 2012 as they made it a bit of a spectacle with colourful banners, fancy boxes with tea choices and interesting colourful Chinese pastries as I recall … pre-Covid or was that a special occasion… anyone with more experience? Rather simple and predictable now but another reason to go be sociable if you need one and be sat at a larger table if able. Not as much fun as tea for two unless you have some catch-up chat or growing romance!

red stripe

Staff Captain
I have not attended one in years!
But that sounds like a special occasion.

many years ago HAL used to have the Dutch night. You were given little Dutch caps to wear.. and after everything was over, crew would offer to decorate them. They all got into it, and when you received it back in a few days..it was a beautiful work of art! I loved and cherished mine. But lost them in a move.
It still pains me.

The crew are so talented.

seamom

Staff Captain
I have not attended one in years!
But that sounds like a special occasion.

many years ago HAL used to have the Dutch night. You were given little Dutch caps to wear.. and after everything was over, crew would offer to decorate them. They all got into it, and when you received it back in a few days..it was a beautiful work of art! I loved and cherished mine. But lost them in a move.
It still pains me.

The crew are so talented.
Oh! Never seen the hats.. cute! I do enjoy the tiles.