Koningsdam, 7 Day Inside Passage, Alaska, June 1, 2023 (Day 3, Juneau)

seamom

Staff Captain
Juneau, Alaska: The next morning, back to sea watch as we approached our first port. First time sailors were very excited. I actually overheard one passenger ask an officer if they were allowed off board if they had no excursions planned! This is your holiday that you paid for, not prison! It’s America, no visa required or even customs! The multitudes with binoculars were quick to share if they spotted whales but they were far off, mostly hugging the shorelines. A few flicked tails. On arrival, though, I was highly entertained by the bald eagles who dove for fish, up to at least 6 at once! Note that from a ship, it’s tough to realize scale but those birds have up to 7 foot wingspan. None were successful while I watched.
We had considered making our own way to the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Centre which we hadn’t visited our first trip. Town buses are free and it’s only $8 round trip to a stop a mile from the glacier. The express bus was $45US each (quite a difference!) but we had plenty of time. However, once we arrived there, the weather was drizzly(normal! If it wasn’t, it would be a bonus) and as there were 5 ships in, the streets were miserably overly populated! There were long lineups visible for everything. We’d walked the town and purchased souvenirs on our first trip there and didn’t find it attractive to revisit so decided to stay onboard. (In vlogs that we watched at home later, from those on other ships who attempted to get transport, they proved it was even worse than it looked afar).
Juneau dock also seemed further than I wanted to walk. My wonky knees were only adjusting to the miles I’d have to walk for a meal, something I’d overlooked, and forgotten the additional adjustment for even the most subtle wave motion. Some days my phone registered over 7k steps, not even wearing my more accurate Fitbit which I’d left at home as we were limited to one device each (in hindsight, understanding the technology a bit more, I could have used it, too). All the way from our cabin nearer the bow to the aft dining room, all the way back, 3 meals a day and anywhere else in between. Heaven forbid if I headed the wrong direction. I’d curse! Instead, Bob popped off the ship for some hair gel which he’d left behind and I discovered the incredible and free ladies’ sauna near the spa… something obviously no one else had! My secret sauna had a full glass wall and while I blissfully heated, I didn’t miss one wave passing by. I wish I’d spent more than the few times there. I had it completely to myself on each visit.

Attachments

• CFF2C5DE-7E48-4FEB-B509-754AB0E53D5D.jpeg
    CFF2C5DE-7E48-4FEB-B509-754AB0E53D5D.jpeg
    700.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 8FCA0514-EE0F-43A9-B648-9DF4BC54AD68.jpeg
    8FCA0514-EE0F-43A9-B648-9DF4BC54AD68.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 5
  • FAAFBD76-3E24-44D9-BE29-22AEBA8BEABA.jpeg
    FAAFBD76-3E24-44D9-BE29-22AEBA8BEABA.jpeg
    788.4 KB · Views: 5

red stripe

Staff Captain
We also used to get the local bus out to the glacier. It passed by a Walmart, so was popular with the crew.
Once you got off, it was a short walk into the park area. The local bus is not allowed to enter the park.

And from our driver.. who was telling everyone to keep a lookout for bears…
“ you know what bears call walking tourists??? FAST FOOD”

“You know what the bears call tourists on bikes??
MEALS ON WHEELS!”

seamom

Staff Captain
We also used to get the local bus out to the glacier. It passed by a Walmart, so was popular with the crew.
Once you got off, it was a short walk into the park area. The local bus is not allowed to enter the park.

And from our driver.. who was telling everyone to keep a lookout for bears…
“ you know what bears call walking tourists??? FAST FOOD”

“You know what the bears call tourists on bikes??
MEALS ON WHEELS!”
How comforting! I never thought about a bear encounter if we’d walked… yikes! Even though we did see a bear walk amongst folks in a vlog of Mendenhall!