Koningsdam, 7 Day Inside Passage, Alaska, June 1, 2023 (Day 4, Skagway)

seamom

Staff Captain
Day 4, Skagway, Alaska:
It was a lovely morning to approach Skagway. We passed more cascades cutting their way down the mountains. I learned these were not waterfalls which are permanent, but cascades as they are seasonally created.
Though it was pouring nonstop on our last visit, I remembered this cute town as my favourite stop and it didn’t disappoint. Even better to see it in the sunshine with the snowy caps and fresh woodsy air, though wet, you could easily envision the goldrush miners’ challenges in muddy streets.
The town wasn’t at the end of the gangplank this time but the $5 all day shuttle stop was. A wild character leaped off the 16 seater, greeted (startled) and entertained us with some odd dramatics during the trip. Shiloh was to be one of our trip highlights. lol. He took us the short circuit to midtown where we could board any of the others to get to points around town, including the wee museum of local artifacts with a small theatre corner where I watched some fascinating reels on the war and its effects in the area.
Just one Main Street of shops, mini displays or theatrical history stops, and restaurants but besides the museum, there’s also a movie to be watched in the Visitor Centre where you can also see the popular steam train closeup as it arrives to take the daily quota of tourists across the ridge and as far as Canada. I almost had the perfect video of its arrival complete with whistle but forgot to hit record!
I’m betting that evening we were beginning to realize that we had more onboard credit we’d have to start using or losing so we went to Canaletto, the Italian specialty restaurant, where I enjoyed my beef carpaccio, lamb chops with polenta and a delish orange blossom tart. Then off to bed, not too late as the itinerary highlight was early the next day.

Attachments

• B9E18C26-1E06-4F33-806C-209C752D9FCE.jpeg
    B9E18C26-1E06-4F33-806C-209C752D9FCE.jpeg
    516 KB · Views: 5
  • 66C32438-4F39-45D7-9084-967509205EF2.jpeg
    66C32438-4F39-45D7-9084-967509205EF2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 93F47702-B967-49FB-BAE8-7C1D63E8E034.jpeg
    93F47702-B967-49FB-BAE8-7C1D63E8E034.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5

red stripe

Staff Captain
Thanks for allowing us to revisit this great port through your eyes.
They do go all out don’t they?
Another good thing to do there is to get a bus and go out to the Jewel Garden. Look at it online. It was beautiful to look at, and the small cafe served some great food.

They also have tons of rhubarb growing in town..and I LOVE rhubarb. On one trip we went into the bakery and bought a few of the rhubarb pies.. once back onboard, I took them to the dining room and told them that I was covered for dessert for the next few days

seamom

Staff Captain
Thanks for allowing us to revisit this great port through your eyes.
They do go all out don’t they?
Another good thing to do there is to get a bus and go out to the Jewel Garden. Look at it online. It was beautiful to look at, and the small cafe served some great food.

They also have tons of rhubarb growing in town..and I LOVE rhubarb. On one trip we went into the bakery and bought a few of the rhubarb pies.. once back onboard, I took them to the dining room and told them that I was covered for dessert for the next few days
Lol… I wonder how often anyone does a BYOdessert lol… love it! I will look into the Jewel Garden. Once off the ship we said we’d never do Alaska again but less than 2 months and Bob’s already thinking about it. Lol

red stripe

Staff Captain
We love Alaska!
On this cruise..Einstein is booking cruises.. 7 and counting.. and I know that he booked an Alaska north cruise and another coming South. With about three weeks in between the two. We will book different lodges and travel all over.

We have done this type of thing before and loved it.
We book our own lodges, as when you book as a package, you find yourself moving every one or two days.
We find it tiring, and if you get into a lodge on one afternoon and leave the next morning.. you see nothing.

seamom

Staff Captain
Sounds very interesting… and dang! We forgot to make a ghost booking while aboard! The last one we had with HAL expired years ago and they refunded it. We must get into the rhythm again and study up on the best way to shop/book as the deposits refundable vs refundable etc has changed somewhat.

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
I'll go to Alaska again. But not on the first weekend and it would have to be return. With no time inbetween :) Been there and done that.

red stripe

Staff Captain
We
I'll go to Alaska again. But not on the first weekend and it would have to be return. With no time inbetween :) Been there and done that.
Well…..look where you live lol
For us, it is a great escape from excessive heat and humidity..and the scenery is always changing.
My favorite lodge was Copper River..
No shops, just a beautiful lodge with a view that went on forever.