Koningsdam, 7 Day Inside Passage, Alaska, June 1, 2023 (day 5, Glacier Bay National Park)

seamom

Staff Captain
Day 7, Glacier Bay National Park:
This is one of the highlighted days of the Alaskan cruise where we’d visit several of the major glaciers in this national park by sea. We were up early in hopes of sitting warmly and listening to the park ranger within the Exploration Cafe on the 9th deck while watching through the panoramic window but though we arrived at 6:30am, the place was packed to the gills. Annoyingly, I sat at the remaining seat at the back of the room where a guy bragged he’d been there since 6 defending four seats which he let no one sit upon… how nice for those folk who slept in or went for a leisurely breakfast… rude! By 7am when we finally left, they were still empty while many new faces wandered in hopes of grabbing a spot.
We braved the not too chilling winds just back of the bow of deck 5, a restricted area opened for the occasion. We’d fortunately visited here before on the Zuiderdam, a smaller sister ship, where you actually stood lower, within the actual apex of its bow.
We eventually moved to our cabin verandah where we had shelter from the wind and chatted to the Ottawa women in the next cabin who we’d befriended, taking turns pointing out seals and otters, one actually floating with its pup belly up, nearby. (Darn, we left deck 5 too soon to get our traditional mug of pea soup which I had intention of not missing this time!) We could still hear the ranger’s spiel as he announced that one inlet was closed at this time to protect the newly born seals who had to float on a piece of ice for a month until their body fat developed to keep them warmer. I’d heard whale sighting here had been plentiful this season but alas for the second visit there, neither time had we witnessed any. At least last time, we did witness some major calving of the ice.
There was a running joke that day that everything seemed to be happening on the “right side” of the ship as the ranger would announce a grizzly on the right and a black bear, of course, on the right, as we sat staring portside. Though it was cloudy within the park, we had some beautiful skies and landscape to end the day.
That evening, we had some good laughs at the MainStage with comedian Azeem whose routine centred around heckling passengers who arrived late for the show. I think we did a little duty free shopping onboard, too, and picked up two flavoured 40 ouncers of vodka to gift for $40 total, which without price comparing on land, sounded pretty amazing to this Ontarian with government controlled prices. Not being in the market for perfumes or jewelry to compare but on quick glance, we didn’t see any other items to tempt.
My videos seem a little to large to attach.

Attachments

• 7F0051C1-EC6D-444F-9D34-1C6CF7BBC250.jpeg
    7F0051C1-EC6D-444F-9D34-1C6CF7BBC250.jpeg
    895.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 6A57CFDB-472E-4EFB-8E8B-090392292B12.jpeg
    6A57CFDB-472E-4EFB-8E8B-090392292B12.jpeg
    775.3 KB · Views: 3

red stripe

Staff Captain
I am glad that you got to see such beautiful wildlife..

Seamom, about the guy saving seats.. you should have just sat down. It is one thing to save a seat for a spouse, but not for others.

A couple of years ago we were on a cruise and went to the showroom one night. It was already filling fast, but About halfway down there was a row that looked half empty, with one man sat in the first seat.
I went in past him before he outdone react. Then I noticed that there was a blank piece of paper on 12 seats! I went to the last two seats tnat had paper on them and picked them up and we sat down.

He immediately came along tne row and told us that he was saving all these seats.
I looked at him and said..” ONE BUTT..ONE SEAT! “
And no..we did not move. He finally went back to his seat fuming!
People behind and in front of us were laughing.some of them admitted that he had ran them off!
Not me..lol

Before the show started, some guy stopped to talk with him, and to my amusement, he brought the guy down to where I am seated and said how I had dared to sit in his “ saved seats”.
I just smiled and repeated..” ONE BUTT..ONE SEAT”.

And the bottom line.. NOT ONE OF HIS PARTY SHOWED UP,!
those other ten seats stayed empty the whole show.

I have no patience with entitled chair hogs!

seamom

Staff Captain
I am glad that you got to see such beautiful wildlife..

Seamom, about the guy saving seats.. you should have just sat down. It is one thing to save a seat for a spouse, but not for others.

A couple of years ago we were on a cruise and went to the showroom one night. It was already filling fast, but About halfway down there was a row that looked half empty, with one man sat in the first seat.
I went in past him before he outdone react. Then I noticed that there was a blank piece of paper on 12 seats! I went to the last two seats tnat had paper on them and picked them up and we sat down.

He immediately came along tne row and told us that he was saving all these seats.
I looked at him and said..” ONE BUTT..ONE SEAT! “
And no..we did not move. He finally went back to his seat fuming!
People behind and in front of us were laughing.some of them admitted that he had ran them off!
Not me..lol

Before the show started, some guy stopped to talk with him, and to my amusement, he brought the guy down to where I am seated and said how I had dared to sit in his “ saved seats”.
I just smiled and repeated..” ONE BUTT..ONE SEAT”.

And the bottom line.. NOT ONE OF HIS PARTY SHOWED UP,!
those other ten seats stayed empty the whole show.

I have no patience with entitled chair hogs!
Bravo… if I’d have sat there though I’d be fuming, awaiting anyone coming for the seat so it would distract me from the show. I’ve heard seat show row saving is quite common on some ships by those who have restless kids at dinner and send them down to save theatre seats so large adult friend groups can leisurely have their meal and arrive last minute to prime front row! What do you think if those rows had paper on printed with a group name? On our cruise at least two entire rows were saved for a travel agent fam trip on a subsidized sail? Should they be able to do that and not allow first come first choice full paying customers the freedom…. Talk amongst yourselves …lol? (Koningsdam theatre has seats that appear to be good wherever you sit, unlike some with pillars. We actually avoided being too close for the comedian as he was picking on guests, hilarious to others… if anyone goes to see him, don’t arrive late or else you will be part of the show!)

red stripe

Staff Captain
I just will not put up with it. And it does not bother me at all.
Watching this idiots face as he sat there all alone..priceless!

And about the front row.. on the cruise before this one.. we were there..front and center!
I know to keep my head down and respond to nothing.. but..
I messed up!
He was an illusionist/ comedian .. and he started off asking for a $100 bill,,then $20.. then $10.. no one was offering…… I felt so sorry for him.. I was worried about his first trick failing.. so I offered him the money. NaturallyI had to get up to give it to him.. he grabbed my hand and the next thing..I was part of the show.

I will NEVER feel sorry for one of them again!

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
No time for people saving seats other than for your partner. Same goes at the pool. ASk if folks are in the water and if not. "One butt one seat."