L.A. to Hawaii Sea Conditions

• Thread starter carolinarockman
  • Start date
C

carolinarockman

We are planning to sail on the Island Princess in late February 2006. Has anyone sailed from L.A. to Hawaii around this time? What were sea conditions? Was the weather cool/cold for a period of time out of L.A.

Thank you.

C

Cruise cutie

see "Karry" Island Princess review this year on the Island Princess. ..=shrug......Ship Maven who is an icon on this site, she owns a travel agency and has been on over 300 cruises..she does Hawaii on the Dam ships.. ( on HAL..), and has one planned April 2006 on her siggy -HAL ( she also does a daily evening weather post too.each and every day, on community forum....)....she also on the Hawaii forum ( here on @ddicts too, scroll to it, on the drop down bar,..)..recommended late April...:grin..now we live in Vermont...and =love to get away from our awful winters...BUT if I'm spending thousands of dollars..I pay attention to her advice..:grin.soooo DH and I;.. we are going late April on the 15 day LA to Hawaii and back cruise we have soon to lock down with Princess as in our siggy. for 2007..:grin......JMHO..I plan on maxing my weather, travel conditions, AND whale watching!!..:thumb..happy research....:)..Joanne.

L

Lady Jag

My mom did the Vancouver to Hawaii itinerary in May and had big waves and cold weather for the first 3 days at sea. After that, it warmed up and the waves calmed down. :) It's not unusual to have large waves in the Pacific, but I've also seen it as flat as a pancake. =huh Here's a great site that shows the wave heights for the Pacific:

https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/PUBLIC/WAM/all_npac.html

What I've seen after watching this site for weeks and weeks is that there seems to be "cells" of waves that come from the North. In between these "cells", there are pretty decent seas - 6-9 ft. being the norm, usually on the 6' side. The good thing about being on a ship is that not only is the "cell" moving South, the ship is moving Southwest and usually cuts across the cell toward Hawaii and isn't in the big waves for long. :) Not sure if that was any help! :dizzy

F

Frank Black

I am considering taking the Hawaii cruise too from LA or San Diego. I have talked to people who took these cruises and crew members on the Statendam. Everyone says the first 2 or three days out and the last two days back will be cool (cold) and a bit rough. The Statendam crew members went farther and said it can get very rough and they have seen days when many people miss dinner. Just take a seasick patch.

tentum

My wife and I did this cruise on the Island Princess in March of 2006. It was unusual in the sense of weather. We had 15 days of 15 days of rain or showers. We actually had 12 days of rain and 3 days of showers. This was one of the worst rainy periods in Hawaii in it's history. There were floods in Honolulu, a dam burst in Kauai, and a tourist couple was killed. Fortunately the storm pattern was from the south west so we met the waves almost dead on the bow while going to Hawaii, and on the stern coming back. On the return we tended to wallow a bit. The waves were about 9-12 feet with some higher during squalls. When we were in Lahaina, the storm got so bad the harbor master closed the harbor and man passengers were stranded ashore until the cells passed by. There were some passengers who missed meals, but for the most part the crew did an outstanding job of meeting passenger needs to keep us happy. Even with this storm pattern we are taking the same cruise on 12/7/2011 on the Golden Princess. After looking at the weather patterns for the next ten days, it looks like we will have rain and be cool, if not cold, on the first and last 2-3 days. I also expect we will have rain or showers on a large number of days, but not every day like the last time we were there.

ShipMaven

Forever Remembered
Welcome to Cruise @ddicts. You resurrected a thread that dates back to 2005.

December/January are generally the rainy months in the Hawai'ian Islands with heavy ocean swells around the islands - you've probably seen photos of the Banzai Pipeline? Sorry to give you that news.

I hope you'll have better weather than in 2006. I've cruised to Hawai'i in March and April - with good weather. But one thing about ocean crossings is that you can never predict the weather.

Jeanie

Staff Captain
Welcome to Cruise @ddicts. You resurrected a thread that dates back to 2005.

December/January are generally the rainy months in the Hawai'ian Islands with heavy ocean swells around the islands - you've probably seen photos of the Banzai Pipeline? Sorry to give you that news.

I hope you'll have better weather than in 2006. I've cruised to Hawai'i in March and April - with good weather. But one thing about ocean crossings is that you can never predict the weather.

Thanks Maryann, a good read