Need recipe help

G

Gayle V

My aunt (who is now gone) used to make the best corn bread. It was really moist, and sweet. It had real corn in it, not just corn meal.

I've been craving it lately, but my corn bread is nothing like that. just too dry, and not sweet enough either. Does anyone have a similiar recipe to share?

M

MARIPOSA

I gave up on trying to make good cornbread Gayle and now just buy
Marie Callender's mix from the store. It is soo good, tastes like cake. LOL
What I'd love learn to make is corn fritters like my Mom used to make me. Loved them with syrup on them. YUMMO

Hugs, Mari

G

Gayle V

Yumm, that sounds good too. Unfortunately my corn fritters are made with Bisquick. They taste like corn fritters made with Bisquick.:(

R

Rubysky

Get a 15 oz. box of cornbread mix and a 18.5 oz. box of yellow cake mix.
Mix cake & cornbread batters according to package instructions. Blend together and turn into 2 greased 9-inch square baking pans. bake at 350 degrees for 30 -35 min, or until cornbread springs back when lightly touched.
32 servings

This was developed by the L.A. Times Test Kitchen when none of the restarants that served sweet cornbread would share their recipe.

I guess you can replace some liquid with creamed corn or just add corn to the batter. Jalapinos & cheddar bits are good too

This recipe is too sweet for me. My friends & family love it. Try it as is, if it is too sweet, try another time but use 1/2 (?) of the cake batter for cupcakes. Keep records until you get it right.

C

conniecat

I like Jiffy Mix. It is easy to make, and quick and you can add a can or corn, or whatever, like Ruby said.

M

maw

I have seen a recipe someplace for cornbread made with creamed corn. Will look thru cookbooks and see what I can find.

B

bigjimswoman

Gayle,

I use Jiffy mix. But here is my little secret, I heat my pan with oil it in the oven, pour a little of the oil in the mix. I then poor the mix into the heat pan and I get raves over my cornbread. If people like it a little sweeter, I add a tablespoon of sugar. I think the heated pan makes the crust of the cornbread just right.

G

Gayle V

Thanks for the tips everyone. I think Cornbread will be on tomorrow's menu. (Today is pasta and meatballs.)

G

Gayle V

Well the menu changed for yesterday, so I tried the cornbread. I used a combination of Rubysky's recipe with the cake mix, using only half the cake mix. And followed bigjimswoman's hint to make the crust crisper. It was wonderful. Still not as moist as my Aunt's, but really good. I will save that recipe for sure.

Thanks all.

H

Hucc

Gayle, Stonewall Kitchens has a recipe with real corn in it in their cookbook.

We buy our cornbread from Wild Oats market. :)