Oh, I have sunk to a new low

C

conniecat

[size=x-large]I keep putting off grocery shopping, it has become a huge chore. I can sure the store's scooter to shop, (mine has too small a basket) they bag my groceries and go to the car and put them in, but when I get home I can't carry them in. I have to hope one of the neighbor kids will be around and pay them $5 to carry them in for me.

Then I remembered our local Schnucks has somethings called Express. You order online, and they deliver it to your kitchen. Not everything in the store is available, altho they do have a line for write in requests. So, I went ahead and tried it. I ordered all of the heavy things, potatoes, onions, big cans, soda etc. Their sale items are included, and they have a description and a photo of each item. You can even elect to substitute items if they are out.

I can't believe I spent $144!!!!! But, that included the delivery charge. Next day is $15.50, but I went for 2 day for $12.50, plus they said a tip was not expected, but I gave the guy $2, (he brought it all in in one trip on a dolly). Should probably have been more, but I just about broke the bank in the first place! My thrifty heart is cringing, but what can you do when you are old and decrepit? At least I won't have to shop now for a couple weeks or more, just maybe pick up a few things I forgot or they were out of.

It's heck to get old![/size]

P

popcorn

I think it was a wise move on your part to take advantage of that service.

How is your black eye today?

Liz

C

conniecat

About the same, very colorful. The knot has gone down on my forehead, so I guess the djomrt od kidy s trr,omfrt/ I still think its funny!

W

Whimsy

Connie, I'm so glad Schnuck's offers this service. I'm sure it is a big help for you.

By any chance do you have small stores such as IGA or something near you? Where I live they deliver no charge to regular customers who have a hard time getting to the store. It is just something you might want to look into if it is a possibility.

C

conniecat

Boy, when am I going to learn to check my typing before I hit post? No idea what I was trying to say, lol.

No Whiimsy, we do have a small outlet for Schnucks called Food for Less, but I don't think they deliver. They don't seem to have a website. I can go to them on a day I know the kids will be home. The one across the street has carried them in for me a couple times. Now, I need to find a kid to help me clean up my yard this spring.

C

Cruise cutie

glad it worked out for the service, is'nt the new technology fabulous??.. the only aid here is a shopping bus for seniors.. the ride is free.. the store sponsoring the shopping pays..they get it back in business...and the driver will help "carry " your bags..but it still limits what one can haul..Vermont is Hugely Rural..NO real public transport except in 2 major towns in the entire state..so folks depend on neighbours, and kin to pitch in..take care Connie..:daisy..Joanne.

B

BostonsJ

Connie if it works for you then it isn't a new low it is a brilliant way of dealing with an issue. I wonder if your park has a monthly newsletter. Ours does and I often times see little ads on it offering to do small jobs for reasonable rates for the elderly. I know there are a few personal assistants who live here in the park and they visit with the elderly each day. And in many cases they are paid by the State respite program. If you have one of these newsletters and see such an ad call the office and check out the person's reputation with the park first. Maybe just scheduling a time when you will shop and have someone waiting to assist you will help. And also the same with the yard care. Get it all set up that every 3 or 4 weeks someone comes to freshen up the yard.

The other thing is you might check the state programs to see if there is any state funding available to build a ramp on your home instead of having to make the stairs. If you had a ramp you could cart things in on one of those little shopping carts. One of these things. http://www.amazon.com/Black-Folding-Shopping-Cart/dp/B0000C0XOD

M

maw

Connie Paw and I are just now experiencing trying to get our groceries without the kids help. actually he has found he can transport from trunk on his scooter . He sits them up on porch and I carry them to the next set of stairs and sit them in room then we both put them away together. The grocery store did take them to car for us and unload the basket and return scooter into the store. There is an OAT bus that picks up people in area and takes to Bolivar and to some Dr's visits but I would have difficulty get on and off. They do have a lift for wheel chair. I have never asked the local store to deliver but we might be able to arrange if we get desperate. With Billy moving nearer we can always ask he or Jason to pick something up and bring by.---Glad you have a plan now.

J

John

Hi Connie, Sounds like you have found a good solution. Another idea is Amazon.com who also sells groceries and they are working on offering grocery delivery in the future. So this may be an option for you... however, it may be hard to deal with the large boxes once they arrive? I did want to let you know about this as it may be useful and they may add delivery to your area in the future.

Just visit http://www.amazon.com and then select Grocery on the menu on the left. You can also try clicking on the link below.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/16310101/ref=topnav_storetab_gro/103-9408501-8844603

Have a great day!

C

Calgon1

Hi Connie!

If you need help with round the house type chores ... Call your local Boy Scout or Girl Scout council (check the yellow pages, or go on-line). You will probably have more aides than you have chores.

G

GloBug

Calgon, you are a genius!!! What a good idea for those who need assistance with everyday stuff the rest of us take for granted.

R

reggae

I wish I lived nearby, cc....I'd get your groceries for you.

Also, have you checked with the local churches? I know around here they do help people with chores.

N

nieciez

That is a wonderful idea Calgon :thumb

I hear you Connie...I can hardly grocery shop anymore. With my knees I hate to walk around the store and now that my shoulders are kicking up with the arthritis, I can't carry heavy things either. Our local chain Giant has home delivery "Peapod by Giant" but they don't offer it in our zip code :( Luckily Leatherneck can do the grocery shopping. We do have a number of ladies in our community who are "personal shoppers" as we have a large number of seniors in our subdivision. $12.50 sounds like it is well worth the price for the convenience.

K

korinalacount

We have the service at our local King Soopers,John and I both hate grocery shopping but since the store is 5 minutes away,we go,but when it comes to the point when I cant,it sure will be a boon! You are lucky Connie to have the service,and I am so glad they could help,just wish everything didnt cost so much! Hugs,girl,you give us all inspiration!

C

conniecat

Thanks for all the suggestions! Our park used to have a newsletter, but a new owner took over and there went all the niceties. They are not even stocking the lake anymore, No time for a newsletter. There are plenty kids around for odd jobs, if you can find one.

I had no idea Amazon offered groceries! I spend a lot of money on that website, I even bought shoes from them. I will look into that.

I am hoping I can find some help with house cleaning, too.

I am not old enough for a lot of the senior services.