Our first Viking Ocean cruise, 1/20 - 2/3/2024

rico567

Deck Crew
Our cruise we returned from last week was just great….that is, the time spent on Viking Mars. As far as the “there and back again” to & from Ft. Lauderdale, hideous on both ends (and, yes, we were on Viking Air, and, yes, we know that parts of that ) experience are completely out of Viking’s control). so, for getting to and from the cruise port: 1/10.
Then there were the excursions. Cozumel was an ant farm with 8 cruise ships there and between 15-16K people ashore. Bad enough, but worse was having to walk 1 mile plus to our excursion transport. The event itself rated an ‘OK’, but no better than that. Maybe 2/10.
We were so tired from Cozumel we passed on Belize the following day, which was 30 min. To shore by tender, then transport. Of course we had to eat the excursion fee. No rating. Honduras: cancelled due to high onshore winds. Unrated.
Costa Rica was well organized, efficient, and the tour was quite interesting. 9/10.
Colón, Panama was the high point of the “excursions” for us, as we sat on our veranda and watched as we ascended the Gatun Locks. Fascinating. 9/10.
Montego Bay, Jamaica was a -doable- walk to transport. By this time we weren’t about to pay for any more excursions, so we did the included Old Fort tour. While there were a number of interesting historical features at the fort, and our guide was quite good, this excursion was quite misleadingly labeled “easy” by Viking, which it most certainly was not. The upper level of the fort and the craft market were negotiated by a series of walks and stairs of indeterminate age, often with no handrails, and with the footing made sketchy by angled and pebbly surfaces. Should be relabeled “moderate,“ and a more specific description of the tour geography appended. 5/10.
So, yes, we would certainly take a Viking Ocean cruise again. Not sure we would take any excursions without more information up front.

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
Thanks for the review. Flying is always an issue for me. so much now days I just don't fly. But if you want to cruise you usually have to do that. Not sure I understand the "Eating" the excursion statement. Are they not just part of the cruise? You didn't pay extra. YOu just paid. Right. :) Or was it a private tour?
Panama canal is one of my favorite go to's. Hopefully once more before it runs out of water.
Had friends aboard a Viking Riverboat recently that had a few similar Tour description vs actuality experiences

rico567

Deck Crew
There are two types of excursions offered by Viking in each port: some included in the cruise fare and some at an additional charge. The one we signed up for in Belize carried a charge, and we cancelled too late, therefore we had to “eat” the charge. We cancelled because we were just too worn out from Cozumel the previous day, and going ashore in Belize was 30 min. By tender, then some time traveling on land to reach the excursion location. We just didn’t feel up to that.