Puntarenas Costa Rica

E

Edward

I'll post my Panama Canal question here since there doesn't seem to be a forum for that. Any suggestion on what to do and where to go from Puntarenas Costa Rica if we don't want to join any of the excursions from the cruise ship? We are doing the transcanal cruise on the Celetrity Infinity in November and have about 10 hours in port in Puntarenas.

E

Erin

I have the same question. I received a recommendation for a private tour company that gave me several options but the price is incredibly high - a shame because we did a private tour on Barbados and really enjoyed the experience. We would rather not do a ship's excursion. Any suggestions from those who have been, will be most welcome.

A

alma

We'll also be on Celebrity Infinity on 11/03. I've been debating whether or not to do a tour in Puntarenas. We usually just do our own thing at the ports, but in this case, it seems it might be safer to join an organized tour group rather than hopping into a cab.

I hope someone here can shed some light on either the ships tours or private tours.

B

Babylene

I also would like recommendations for sightseeing from Puntarenas. Anyone?

P

PEB

When we were in Putarenas last April on the Mercury there was not a lot to do there. It is a very poor area. We did a tour down the river searching for wildlife that Celebrity had and it was the best tour of our whole trip. The price was reasonable and the guides were excellent. If you cannot find something to do on your own I would highly recommend taking the tour looking for wildlife on the river. It is very beautiful and there is plenty of wildlife to see.

E

Erin

Thanks for the information PEB - there's not much out there, and every tidbit helps.

B

Babylene

Don't want this to disappear! Still don't know what tour to take. The ones that involve long drives don't appeal. Neither does the one that says "could be muddy" Yuch! I wonder especially about the river boat ride or the "treetops " walk . Any comments?

E

Edward

I read from some board that you could hire a car at the port for a day for US$120. The driver would have pictures to show you the different places you could see within the time frame. Anyone know or has experience with this and how reliable are these drivers? We don't want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere and not be able to get back to the ship.

N

Nanatravel

We took the Coroboci River rafting tour which included lunch. It was great. If there are 2 time slots take the later one as you will stop for a great luncheon first. There were native animals at this resort in a controlled environment. Wear your swim suit and sneakers that you don't mind getting a little wet or muddy. Don't forget to water proof any good camera or bring a disposable waterproof one. There was a guide in each rubber raft who told you when to row. This was a lot of fun and a great way to get to know this beautiful country. Costa Rican coffee and colorful painted oxen carts are the souvenirs to buy in this port.