Shore excursions in Naples

D

detmcparts

We will be leaving on the Constellation Oct 14 and one of the shore excursion choices is Naples, Sorrento, Amalfi Drive and the ruins of Pompeii. I would like to see as much of the area as possible and don't want to miss Pompeii. The descriptions of the excursions often mention cameo factories and simple farm visits. I don't want to waste what little time I have. Has anyone taken any of these shore excursions. I would appreciate any advise on the best choice. Thanks

J

Julie1353

We sailed Princess' Mediterranean cruise last year, and one of the ports was Naples. Rather than taking a shore excursion we decided to do it on our own. We took a bus from the dock to the train station, boarded the train, which lets you out right at the gates of Pompeii. We toured Pompeii in the morning, reboarded the train and went to Sorrento (which was beautiful). Had a wonderful lunch there and walked thru the city and did a bit of shopping. We then took the hydrofoil back from Sorrento to Naples. The hydrofoil docks right where the cruise ship does. It was a fabulous day! I'm not sure how they fit so much in on the shore excursions. My guess is that you don't spend much time anywhere. Pompeii was absolutely fabulous!

D

detmcparts

Thanks Julie, this is just what I wanted to hear. It is difficult when you don't know where things are in relation to each other. I think this is just what I will do. Thanks again.

C

CruiseDiva

We also did Pompeii in the morning and Sorrento in the afternoon, with a luncheon stop in Sorrento. Ours was a ship's tour but very satisfying. You could also take the ferry to Capri if you are interested, but you'd probably need to skip Pompeii if you do that.

M

mariagzw

Like I posted elsewhere, you may want to give www.portcompass.com a try. They do heavy discounting on shore excursions all over the world. I am checking out their Rome and Florence tours. I think they do Naples -- we've been there before so we won't do an organized trip there. You MUST do the Amalfi coast, simply breathtaking. Don't know about Pompeii, never made it there.

U

usatoitaly

Last September we sailed Millenium and in Naples we booked with Sorrentolimo(their web-site is www.sorrentolimo.com)and we had an unforgettable tour of Pompei(about two hours) and the Amalfi coast with an excellent lunch in Ravello.Sorrentolimo gave to us a van for eight and an english speaking driver for the whole day.
Enjoy your cruise

E

elaine B

We did a shore excursion to Pompeii when we sailed on the QEII years ago and we definitely could have done without the cameo factory "tour" but Pompeii was fabulous and some areas might have only been open to the people on the tour rather than the general public. I'm not sure. We didn't do Sorrento but took the hydrofoil on our own to Capri in the afternoon and it was the highlight of the entire cruise. If you go to Capri a local bus goes to the top of the island . We got off at Anacapri and walked past San Michele but didn't have time to tour it. Sampled some limoncello and bought a beautiful cameo (prices were a fraction of those at the factory. We loved Anacapri. Had the best espresso in Italy ( and the best pasta) at a cafe on the Marina Grande. Didn't get to the Blue Grotto because of the time of day (last tour left around 4pm and we would have missed the ship). Hope this gives you another option.

Diane