Sigggggghhhh

B

BostonsJ

My daughter had interviewed a young woman to do respite work in her home. She really really liked this woman who is in her early 20's. This young lady was recommended by my daughter's best friend Nickie who is a manager in retail, and this girl works for her.

Well Audra just today called this young woman to set something up for next week. The young girl said now is not a good time and asked can I call you in a couple of weeks? She told Audra there was a fire in her house last night. Audra of course inquired as to whether or not there was anything she could do for her and her family and promised to assist her if she needed anything. I guess they are staying in a hotel.

Well Audra was just talking to her girlfriend Nickie. She relayed the story about just speaking with this girl. Her girlfriend said OMG Audra she didn't tell you? Audra asked tell me what?

This young woman and her father had gone out for a short while. The mother who has MS and is wheel chair bound, as well as legally blind died in the blaze. The daughter and father arrived home to flames and tried to rescue the mother but could not reach her she was in the room that was on fire from a heater. Audra is devestated that she had just spoken to her and the girl never let on. She is probably in shock, she had to be rushed to the hospital herself for smoke inhalation while trying to rescue her mother. Audra feels terrible that she did not offer her condolences. And she started to cry because of the thoughts that the woman has helpless to get out of the fire in that room. Anyway Audra asked me to do a computer search for the newspaper article because she was still in disbelief.

Cherish the moments is all I can think. How horrible for this family. But how horrific for this woman who died.

Here is the article.

Woman with limited mobility dies in Wellesley fire
Space heater blamed in blaze
Email|Print| Text size – + By Sarah Gantz
Globe Correspondent / January 26, 2008
A 55-year-old Wellesley woman who was legally blind and had limited mobility died in a two-alarm blaze last night at her home, fire officials said.

The fire started at about 7:42 p.m. in the family room at the back of the first floor of a house on Halsey Avenue, said Fire Chief Kevin Rooney. A space heater in that room caused the blaze, he said.

The woman's husband and her teenage daughter were not home when the fire broke out. They returned to find the house in flames and tried unsuccessfully to rescue the victim, who used a wheelchair, Rooney said.

The daughter was taken to a hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation. Officials did not release the identity of the woman or daughter.

Maria Picculi, 68, who lives on the street, said she was acquainted with the family and she was "really sorry that that happened to them."

"I came home and saw the fire engine. They told me they couldn't find the mother and the girl was in the ambulance. I was shocked, really shocked," she said.

More than 20 firefighters battled the blaze, which was quickly brought under control. The building was heavily damaged by fire in the rear and by smoke throughout, officials said.

Firefighters from Weston and Newton assisted Wellesley firefighters.

© Copyright 2008 Globe Newspaper Company.

P

popcorn

How terrible. All Audra can do is be there if the girl calls. She needs a few hugs.

Liz

C

Cruise cutie

my heart just breaks..that poor young girll... and her Dad..prayers for the family...may they get some peace down the road for coping....:(...Joanne

B

Beryl

What a terrible tragedy....but, Audra should not beat herself up for something she didn't know and had no control of! If and when the girl calls her again she can express her sincere sorrow and condolences.

N

nieciez

Oh Judy, I missed this post over the weekend. I am so sorry to read this. How awful for this women to die in such a way. And her poor family......my thoughts and prayers are with them.