Tahitian Princess October 21, 2005

S

Shipshy

First cruise for my wife and I and from what I've read a great one.

I'll be heading to the only 18 hole golf course on the island on day one for a round.....If there are any other golfers that will be on the cruise, wanna share a cab?

M

markdownunder

Hello Shipshy,

We're on the same cruise, myself and wife plus 3 other couples all from Australia.

The good news is that 3 of us guys are golfers, no single figure handicaps though.

S

Shipshy

No worries, I'm a 12 handicap.....but who will be keeping score anyways? My wife and I are travelling from Toronto, Canada. I figure the ship won't be leaving until 5pm Saturday so if I'm teeing off by 9am I won't feel rushed to get back, only a 20 min. drive to the course is what I've read. So if you'll be up for some golf, I'll send you my cabin # so you can find me or just look for the guy carring his clubs off the ship @8am. (Although I'm seriously considering renting clubs instead of carting mine halfway around the planet for what could possibly be only one round.)

M

markdownunder

We're travelling from Darwin, Australia... so the thought of dragging the clubs through 4 airport checks dosesn't appeal either... at any rate it won't have much influence on my game as I'm pretty new to the sport and haven't got a handicap other than myself!

S

Shipshy

One month and counting....can't wait!

I got in touch with Skip at the golf course and he suggested to contact him a week or so in advance of our trip to book at tee time, in the event there may be something else going on at the course on the 22nd. Usually not that busy, so chances are no booked time is required.

They do have club rentals...knock off Callaways and Pings, so eventhough I'd love to use my own sticks, I'm going to rent. I'm sure I'll have enough to carry on the way home so I've just lightened the load by 20kg.

So, if all goes well and we're on the ship Friday evening you can bet I'll be heading out @8am to get a ride to the course....

M

markdownunder

Can't wait either... counting the days...

We arrive on the 18th so should be well rested and ready for 9am Tee Off on the 21st. Unfortunatley our group is down to six now, lost our star golfer... so it will probably only be me.

I'll certainly be hiring clubs, as you say it will save 20kg (more room for the wife's shoes!)

Just curious... how many hours in the air to get from Toronto to Papeete?

Cheers,

Mark

S

Shipshy

We arrive on the evening of the 21st so I won't be golfing until Sat. 22nd, got to get out fairly early to get back to the ship by 2-2:30 pm, so 9am tee off would be a good start time.....

Toronto to LA 5 hours, LA to Papeete 8 hours....I'm shifting in my seat already...

Good that you can still come out...if not, see you by the pool.

We've had our cabin assigned already but I can't remember it right now....just look for the lonely sole pacing on the deck.

Stu

M

markdownunder

Stu,

You certainly have some long flights ahead of you, fortunatley our longest flight is Auckland (New Zealand) to Papeete, around 5 hours.

By the way, I attended my first coaching clinic last night in an effort to improve my game of golf, so I won't be just extra baggage around the course hopefully!

My wife and I are in cabin 7102, so perhaps we should meet for a drink Friday night?

I recently corresponded with a couple from San Jose in California travelling on our cruise, via another website (Cruise Critics), but haven't put forward the suggestion of a game of golf as yet, which I will do directly.

Cheers,

Mark

S

Shipshy

We may not actually be on board until @10pm, providing no flight delays, but I'm in for some refreshments.

We are in cabin 7019...

As for the golf.....just a fun and sun day. I don't care what I score....the fact that I'm on a golf course in Tahiti and not in my office is what I'm looking forward to.

Take care,
Stu

M

markdownunder

Stu,

Noticed you had found the CC website... dropped a line to Al (Satflier) in San Jose, but he will pass on the golf as his girl freind has other plans for him, that involve shopping.

As I'll be in Tahiti on the Tuesday (18th) if I can help organise anything for the "game" let me know... you can drop me a line via email at:

mark@hot100fm.com.au

Cheers,

Mark J

S

Shipshy

I'll send you an email when I confirm a time with Skip apart from that I'll see you on thew ship. Too bad for Al...

You're arriving early and we're staying late......after the cruise we are going back to Moorea for three more nights in a bungalow.

Take care,

Stu

M

markdownunder

Stu,

Only nine days to go..... and I am definitley counting.

85 F and the sun is shining in Tahit! can't wait!

Anymore news on golf?

Cheers,

Mark

S

Shipshy

I will email Skip today to make sure the Sat. is still open. I will also let him know that there will be two golfers but that we may get a foursome together by that day.

With only days until our departure, I haven't packed a thing....I keep thinking there is lots of time but my time is running out.

85 deg. sound very good to me as the weather here in Toronto has changed considerably in the last week.....80 last Thursday and today we may get to 55.

Take care and I'll post again when I hear from Skip.

Stu

S

Shipshy

I heard back from Skip this morning and he said they will always make room for tourist so we can golf anytime on Sat. I will email you the price list he sent to me, we just need to let him know if we're using power carts so he can hold one for us.

You'll notice on their price list there are packages available that include a shuttle from the ship, clubs, power cart and lunch...I beleive that's package #2. There is also a Deluxe package on the list which includes all of the above and more...let me know what you think.

Shuttle could take up to 45 minutes to get there so we'd have to arrange for pick up by 8am, I will email Skip tomorrow to confirm a pick up for Sat. am