THE NCL VIVA IS THE WORST, MOST OVERPRICED SHIP THAT I HAVE EVER BEEN ON!

DROSE2824

1) We had five rooms for 10 people. The total cost was about $50,000USD. You can go anywhere in the world for an average of $1000USD per night!
2) Knowing that for 10 people, it would be difficult to get dinner reservations, I made a number of calls to NCL prior to the cruise so that we could eat together and not late because of our 3 year old daughter. Even with these calls having been made, I waited in the theatre for about one hour and thirty minutes on the day of embarkation to confirm the reservations. What a great start to the cruise-NOT!
3) The dress code says no shorts and no tank tops are allowed in the restaurants. I saw plenty of people wearing shorts and tank tops during dinner in the restaurants. Why are there rules that they do not implement? Why should we have to adhere to the dress code when many other people did not?!
4) The main pool on the ship is tiny for a ship with 3,500 passengers. It is about 6 metres by 3.5 metres wide. The pool was so tiny that it was the first pool that was too small for people to actually swim. It was unbearably busy and we did not sit next to it once. This is obviously not what one wants whilst on holiday.
5) We were very excited about going on the karting track. The problem is that whilst we were driving, the staff stopped the electric power to the cars a number of times. They have completely ruined what should be a good experience which is why we all only used the karting track once.
6) On one day, all four of us in my suite had upset stomachs.
7) The food was far too salty!
8) Drinks up to a value of $15USD per drink were included. I upgraded to the premium plus drinks package and paid about $800USD extra. On the first night, the minibar was empty which was surprising in what NCL claims is 5 star accommodation. We asked for water for the minibar and were told that would be an additional charge! Bottled water is provided free of charge in 3 star hotels, so why does the ship ask for any money at all?!
9) When I agreed to pay about $800USD for the premium plus drinks package, I was sent emails that showed that the brands of champagne that were included in the package were Pommery and Veuve Clicquot. I collect wine and the champagne that was served on the boat as part of the package was Haton which was not the same quality as Pommery and Veuve Clicquot. The wine in the bottles of Haton appeared to be young and harsh.
10) There was no point in paying for our eldest daughter to have the soda drinks package. My wife and I were entitled to two drinks each per order. On that basis, we did not need to trade up and pay anything for our daughter.
11) We went to the Teppanyaki restaurant and were told that was a $59USD cover charge. The bill arrived and it was:
$59USD
Tax - I think that it was about $5/10USD
Service - I think that it was about $5/10USD
Chef's Tip -
Waiter's Tip -
There were four charges on top of the original charge!
This is an unbelievable attempt to charge unnecessary charges. It was explained to me by Ionela Oprisan, the Assistant General Manager that I didn't have to agree to the additional charges and that it is a 'cultural' thing. The US has a very different tipping culture to Europe but this ship was in Europe for the cruise and nowhere near the US!
It is completely counter productive to make your customers feel that you are trying to take advantage of them!
12) The attempt at ridiculous overcharging was in the Teppanyaki restaurant where I had to ask for our drinks several times and we only received our drinks 35 minutes after sitting down at the table. Is this regarded as good service?
13) It is expected that some restaurants close at certain times. However, the main buffet near to the sundeck closes for lunch at 2pm. It is common for lunch to be served until 3:30pm/4pm, so to stop serving lunch in the main buffet at 2pm is a ridiculous cost cutting exercise. If one wanted to have lunch after 2pm, the only option was to have 'junk food' such as burgers and hotdogs in a restaurant next door to the buffet that was unbelievably hot and humid. Why would anyone wish to eat only junk food in that environment?!
14) I booked our room-15196 in about September/October, 2023. I believe that the cost of my room was about $13,000USD, including the premium plus drinks packages.
15) I had so many complaints with the 'hotel' side of things so I asked my Concierge who was called Lanie, to organise for me to meet with the General Manager. I obviously wasn't important enough for the General Manager to meet me, so he asked Ionela Oprisan, the Assistant General Manager to meet me. I went through my complaints with her and when it came to discussing the $1000USD service charge for the ten nights that the ship was now asking for and I had never agreed to, in addition to tipping the concierge, the housekeeping lady and the butler, I believe that Ionela Oprisan told me that the staff were only paid about 5 euros per day and it was a cultural thing! I replied that the ship was obviously taking advantage of their staff and where was the $50,000USD that we had collectively paid for our cruise going to? Ionela did not reply to my question. Please note that this conversation was witnessed by our concierge, Lanie Limjoco.
16) On the basis that the service charges were credited to us once we questioned them, it appears that NCL was trying to overcharge 3,500 customers over $700,000USD per cruise because 3500 passengers times $20USD per person per day (some people such as us were being charged $25USD per person per day) times ten nights equals an overcharge of $700,000.
17) I booked the cruise in September/October, 2023 and agreed, including the premium plus drinks package, to pay a total of about $13,000USD and I paid a deposit. An additional service charge was never mentioned, even when I paid the outstanding balance in April, 2024. When we looked at our account balance on the TV, we discovered that the ship was adding $100USD per day for myself, my wife and our two daughters aged 12 and 3. In addition, we were told during the cruise by our butler Niel that we were expected to tip additionally to our concierge, our butler and our housekeeping person. We were very surprised and could not believe that NCL was trying to take advantage of us. I believe that this policy of adding charges may be against EU law. When I complained about these additional charges that were not mentioned when the booking was made, they were all credited back to our account. This is an attempt by NCL to take advantage of their customers.
18) I booked the cruise when the ship was new but I really wish that I had waited because now that I have read online reviews, many people have complained about exactly the same things that we have complained about.
19) Towards the end of the 10 day cruise, I called housekeeping to ask for the room to be cleaned. When I went to bed that evening, I found that my mouthguard which had been 'made to measure' by my dentist, was missing. I know that nobody would steal it but it was obviously thrown away as trash without the person knowing what it was. It will cost me several hundred pounds to replace it. When it was investigated, of course they denied knowing about it.
20) My family members in room 12908, within the Haven, were told when they booked the cruise, that their sons in rooms 12166 and 12172 could join them by the pool in the Haven but they were not. It is blatantly obvious that a group booking of 10 people in 5 rooms would want to spend time with each other. Otherwise, what would be the point of booking a group holiday?!
21) I paid $300USD extra for myself, my wife and our daughters to get a coach transfer from the cruise terminal in Rome to the airport. We exited the terminal in 30 degree heat and went to the coach that we were told to go to. The coach was two-thirds empty in terms of people and the luggage hold was half empty. Even though it was very hot and uncomfortable, a blonde supervisor kept asking us to wait until the next coach would arrive. After asking her why she was asking us to do something illogical, she kept repeating that we should wait for the next coach. After five minutes of me arguing with her and asking why she would want my 12 year old and 3 year old daughters to stand in the unbearable heat, she finally relented and allowed us to go on the half empty coach. This was witnessed by a young lady that reported to the supervisor. The blonde supervisor's behaviour was completely illogical and antagonistic.
22) Please note that NCL try to make all of the additional charges appear to be mandatory when they are clearly not!

markzily

Waiter
Wow, that sounds like an incredibly disappointing experience. From the tiny pool to the unexpected extra charges, it seems like NCL really missed the mark. I’d definitely recommend contacting their customer service to express your concerns and seek some resolution. Hopefully, they’ll address these issues and improve for future passengers.

DROSE2824

THIS WAS NCL'S REPLY TODAY AND THEY QUITE CLEARLY DO NOT CARE!
Dear Mr. Rose,

Again, thank you for writing to our Executive Team. Your concerns were forwarded to the Guest Experience department for review and response, as our department handles customer-related issues.

While we are pleased that you chose to sail with us, we are concerned that certain aspects of your vacation reflected poorly on our company. We have built a foundation on the premise of customer service excellence, and we apologize for any inconvenience you experienced in this regard. Our primary goal is for each guest to enjoy the best possible cruise vacation and we regret that you feel our efforts fell short of your expectations.

We were disheartened by your displeasure with the pricing of several of our products and services onboard, as well as the price of the voyage. Please note that various price points do exist in the cruise industry, as is the case in the broader travel industry for comparable products, such as airlines and hotels. There are many elements involved in determining price, such as season, ship, and availability as well as the timing of many offers, which are controlled solely by market demand and cannot be predetermined.

In regards to the dress code onboard, as a part of Freestyle Cruising, our guests can enjoy Freestyle Attire, which provides for the following dress code: slacks, shirts, skirts, Bermuda shorts (worn with a jacket), Hawaiian/tropical shirts and sundresses. Additionally, presentable jeans may be worn in most dining venues, except where a designated restaurant has been noted onboard. While resort casual attire is always appropriate morning, noon, and night, we do not allow t-shirts, cut-offs, tank tops, and beachwear in any of the restaurants at dinner. We are sorry to learn that our staff did not consistently enforce this policy, and apologize for any discomfort that you may have experienced as a result. Please be assured that this will be mentioned during our ongoing training with our crew onboard.

We also regret to learn that you were unaware of the daily service charges applied to your onboard account. To cover the services rendered by our various crew and staff onboard, a service charge is added to your onboard account. This is distributed to the onboard staff, including the restaurant staff, stateroom stewards, and other behind-the-scenes staff, who provide services to enhance your overall cruise experience. Please note, that there are several places that advise information regarding the service charges such as your confirmation, the eDocs after completing the online check-in, and via our website at https://www.ncl.com/faq#!#what-is-onboard-service-charge. However, our records do indicate that your service charges were adjusted to your onboard account.

We also regret that the large number of guests onboard had a detrimental effect on your enjoyment of the cruise. Please note there was an additional pool located on deck 8. This is an infinity pool that is available for our guests as well.

Regarding the dining reservations, our records indicate that you confirmed the reservations with the Special Events/Dining coordinator for the Main Dining Room for 8:00 pm. However, you requested to change the reservation to 7:30 pm. One of the Maitre D’s was able to assist you in making the change to 7:30 pm. Also concerning the racetrack, the races/karts will stop when somebody bumps into another kart. The team has to be able to go onto the track and move the karts if necessary.

We are also truly sorry for any confusion regarding the Premium Plus Beverage Package. This package includes the perks of the Ultimate Beverage plus the following:

• All top-shelf cocktails & spirits
  • All beer, red wine, white wine, and our exclusive brand of rosé Champagne by the glass
  • Select premium bottles of wine with dinner including our exclusive brand of rosé Champagne and 40% off all other bottles
  • Unlimited soft drinks and juices
  • Unlimited still & sparkling bottled water
  • All Starbucks® coffee & specialty drinks
  • Energy Drinks
After reaching out to our team onboard, it was advised the Pommery champagne has been officially replaced with Haton since May. Veuve is also only available in Le Bistro when guests dine there. However, upon reaching out to our team onboard, it was advised that these concerns were not brought to our staffs' attention onboard. Please note per the flyer on our website, it does advise that brand availability varies by ship and season.

Additionally, we are truly sorry to learn of the loss of your mouthguard and that it was unable to be located. Please note, that our maximum limit of liability is $100.00 as outlined in our Contract of Passage. We are currently processing a refund in the amount of $100.00 to the American Express card ending 3008. The visibility of funds in your account(s) is dependent on your financial institution's internal policies.

It is never our desire for our guests to be disappointed or inconvenienced in any way, and we regret that your cruise experience did not fully meet your expectations this time. We certainly hope that you will not allow the points you raised in your correspondence to be a deterrent of your choice to sail again with us as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back soon.

We appreciate this opportunity to address your concerns and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,
Paula Ponder, Manager on behalf of Katty Byrd
Senior Vice President, Guest Services

DROSE2824

Wow, that sounds like an incredibly disappointing experience. From the tiny pool to the unexpected extra charges, it seems like NCL really missed the mark. I’d definitely recommend contacting their customer service to express your concerns and seek some resolution. Hopefully, they’ll address these issues and improve for future passengers.
The hotel service side of the ship has completely missed the mark. If you read NCL's reply, they have deliberately avoided answering a lot of my complaints!

seamom

Staff Captain
Was this your first cruise and did you not book with an agent? Service charges are expected on most cruises ships and are often added before your departure to avoid the inconvenience of paying while onboard though many passengers choose to give additional rewards to those staff members who give exceptional service.
I understand that you are most upset as this cruise did not meet your expectations but on the contrary, it would seem NCL did address many of your concerns as it is a very long response giving their policies, trying to explain circumstances and what, if anything, they could do for you.
I hope you may find another trip to your liking and be able to read up on future cruises on sites like this to be informed by others’ experiences to discover what might suit you best, find competitive pricing and understand differing policies on tipping. New cruisers have a lot to learn about the fine print and how to enjoy their cruises to the fullest.

DROSE2824

No, it was not my first cruise. I think that it was my 8th cruise.
I am guessing that you are from the US because tipping culture is very different there, when compared to Europe.
Please note that I tipped 580 euros in cash to people that actually helped us, so I am not against tipping.
NCL tried to make the $1000USD service charge appear to be a mandatory charge, when it clearly was not because it was credited back to my account.
This seems to me to be a clear attempt by the Viva to overcharge their customers by $70,000USD per day.
In addition to this, both our butler and a letter from the ship said that the $1000USD service charge did not cover the tips for our concierge, our butler and our housekeeping lady.
On that basis, what does the large cost of the holiday actually pay for?
I believe that it is against EU law to create mandatory service charges which is maybe why the ship credited the money back to me.
Are you aware of the tipping culture in Japan, for example?
If you read my complaints again, NCL have skirted around most of my complaints but they have not actually addressed most of the issues properly.

seamom

Staff Captain
Very sorry to hear then. Perhaps all the others were European based cruise lines as tipping policies on all the mainstream ones advertised in North America (NA) are similar. I am Canadian but I am aware that tipping varies around the world as I lived in Australia and have visited many countries in Europe. NCL, as any other of the mainstream cruises serving NA, does not change its tipping policy when they change location. The information is readily available before booking. I guess it is a matter of buyer beware!