Video of CO Tornado

K

korinalacount

We are okay,but several are dead,this is about 2 hours from us,BJ is closer but she still is safe as well as is Colorado Cruiser. We are all out of that area,its real windy here in the Springs,and thunderstorm warnings are out but no tornados,and hopefully none to come!

K

korinalacount

By the way we get hail like that all the day,almost every time it rains,it wrecks the flowers,dents the cars,ect.,just another thing we live with here in CO,at first when we moved here it scared me,now I go out and watch it,its cool!

B

blusky558

Wow, what an afternoon! We are just about 35 minutes from Fort Collins, 45 from Windsor where most of the worst damage is. We were watching the radars at work, and I told the boss we were headed for a doozy storm and we should go home. I was about halfway there when the sirens went off. Got into the house, grabbed the beagle and headed downstairs with the laptop. The heavy rain, hail and winds lasted almost until 4pm our time, it's now sunny and calm, but we are under tornado watch for about another 2 1/2 hours. There were also tornados in Laramie, WY this afternoon, and that is at 7200 feet in altitude. The weather is sure mixed up this spring, that is for sure.

B

BostonsJ

Wow what a day. I woke up to blackness and it was humid like I have never experienced here. And then about 10:30 we had a hail storm with high winds at work. Those storms that passed over us headed east and hit on the plains. That is where the tornados were about an hour from us.

Mike came to take pictures this morning at the mortuary before he headed to Greeley. While he was doing the inspection the dealership lost power and the winds came blowing in and the temperatures dropped. He called me from the car and said just as he was leaving the Town he saw what appeared to be landspouts dancing across the road. There was debris everywhere and cars pulled over. Roadsigns uprooted and wires down. Police cars flying by him on the highway. The tornado had just passed through that area a minute or two before. He said it was totally black, the winds were blowing and there was 3 inches of hail on the road. He said as he headed south through another town he could see behind him another bad cell going through the area. The highways were shut down minutes later but he managed to get out safely. Can you imagine he was minutes behind the tornado.

The Governor just declared a state of emergency. There is quite a large area of homes leveled, barns and outbuildings detroyed. A complete daycare collapsed. They had enough warning to get the kids into the bank vault next door before the tornado hit and all were safe. Two horses were lifted right out of their stalls and dropped onto a driveway. They both lived with injuries of cuts and bruises. It was a very serious tornado. While they counted 7 tornados earlier, they are now thinking that this was one tornado a mile wide which traveled on the ground for about 35 miles with winds in the area of 150mph. The weather people here are saying they haven't seen a weather system like this in Colorado since 1969.

We in Golden are under a tornado watch until 8pm tonight but they say things are now settling down. Very eerie, just before those storms went through this morning it got dead quiet and it was terribly humid. Then the winds picked up to the point that you couldn't stand outside we were being pelted with debris and sand.

So many people have lost so much. I'd say keeping Mike at the mortuary for just a few more minutes today was a really good thing.

G

GloBug

EVERYWHERE we went on our cruise, the locals told us the weather was screwy. It was either bitterly cold and rainy with high winds when it should have been fairly nice, or 90* when it should be chilly. Scary stuff. Hope all are ok when this is over.

B

BostonsJ

Charles that Highway is the one that Mike was traveling on minutes after it past. Scary stuff.

B

blusky558

Judy,
That dark cell that Mike saw in his rearview mirror must have been the one that past through here in Cheyenne about mid-afternoon. The winds have picked up again, and I can see a lot of dark clouds off to the southeast of us. I don't think we are done with things yet tonight. Yikes!

B

BostonsJ

You may not be. They say Colorado is clearing but the storms have moved into Kansas, Wyoming, and Nebraska. Stay Safe up there !

K

Kadeycat

I live in Greeley. Graduated from Windsor. I cannot believe that there was so much damage in so short a time. I was in Loveland and the hail started. A huge black cloud came over the building but I guess the storm was moving in from the South. Not much damage near our home although it did take awhile to get home. Roads were closed due to power lines down. They routed us down county roads and there were houses missing roofs, walls and most of the garage. The irrigation pipes were not just tipped over but twisted beyond belief. Animals are loose and are scared. The police, Nat'l Guard and Red Cross have basically closed off the town so people cannot loot the homes. They don't need another thing to worry about.

C

Corky

That is what it looked like when one came through here in 1998. Very scary! Thnx for the video.