Welcome to the Viking Cruises forum!

John

I'm on Island Time
Staff member
Hi Everyone, I wanted to create this new forum for those who love Viking Cruises. You can plan, share or learn travel tips for your Viking Cruise on the River or Ocean. If your a fan of Viking River or Viking Ocean Cruises this is your home to share with other new or past guests and crew.

If your a Facebook User please visit our very popular Viking Cruises - Facebook Group today!

Last edited:

MemphoBeverly

Looking for advice on shore excursions on the Empires of the Mediterranean cruise. Which did you enjoy, which would you pass on if you had it to do again? Also, thoughts on included excursions vs the paid ones? This is our first cruise, so we have no idea whether planning to do some sort of tour every day is too ambitious.

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
I'm not a Viking cruiser. (yet) but if this is your first cruise I would suggest you just go ahead and book all the free ones and then take what ever day off you wish. I'll try and find someone that can shed a bit more light on how they compare.

DrKoob

Bar Steward
Looking for advice on shore excursions on the Empires of the Mediterranean cruise. Which did you enjoy, which would you pass on if you had it to do again? Also, thoughts on included excursions vs the paid ones? This is our first cruise, so we have no idea whether planning to do some sort of tour every day is too ambitious.
We did a 21-day Med cruise with Viking in the fall of 2022. Pretty much all the free tours were a huge bore. We thought the guides were being paid by the word because they never shut up. In one port in Spain, our guide advised not to go near a festival in downtown Tarragona but some of us paid no attention and had a wonderful time.

The worst was Pisa from Livorno and Nice, Ez and Monaco from Monaco. Worthless. Way too much shopping time. Guides in too big a hurry.
Our best day was the day we booked a private tour and went off on our own to Cinque Terre.