What do you like and/or dislike about sharing a table with strangers?

John

I'm on Island Time
Staff member
What are the pros/cons of getting a table in the MDR for just your family/group versus sharing a larger table with strangers.

Best/worst experiences for each way (alone/ with strangers)?

spikesgirl

3rd Officer
We always get a table of eight because you can usually find at least one or two people you connect with. When we did the China cruise, we had a fabulous table and did stuff together the whole cruise. . One of the couples was actually going back to Hong Kong to visit family after the cruise. When we docked in Hong Kong, they gave us the cook's tour. It was such fun

bob

Community Manager Part Time Dinosaur
Staff member
Have had a couple of bad experiences with table sharing plus we like the flexibility of anytime dining. We have some friends that live close to us and we have cruised with them on several occasions they prefer traditional dining and usually wind up with a table for four in the dining room. We seldom eat dinner with them just usually get together before or after dinner. Lot of times we get together in the Platinum lounge for the pre dinner cocktail hour then go our own way unless we have something planned for after dinner.

spikesgirl

3rd Officer
Have had a couple of bad experiences with table sharing plus we like the flexibility of anytime dining. We have some friends that live close to us and we have cruised with them on several occasions they prefer traditional dining and usually wind up with a table for four in the dining room. We seldom eat dinner with them just usually get together before or after dinner. Lot of times we get together in the Platinum lounge for the pre dinner cocktail hour then go our own way unless we have something planned for after dinner.
We had that happen once on a Carnival cruise. Our friends wanted the later dining. We wanted early. We ended up rarely seeing them the entire cruise.

bob

Staff member
Have had that happen too

George C

Staff Captain
I like meeting new people have had so me great table mates , on one of our first rccl cruises we really enjoyed talk with everyone and we started going to shows together, ships doctor was also dinning with us and he was super friendly.

bob

Staff member
I like meeting new people have had so me great table mates , on one of our first rccl cruises we really enjoyed talk with everyone and we started going to shows together, ships doctor was also dinning with us and he was super friendly.
Plus you don't have to worry about food poisoning ...............................:emoticon 0138 thinking:

bob

Staff member
We like meeting people but over time have weighed the trade offs, besides Sheryl before "she" retired, I retired before her I'm two years older so got a head start, she wanted to cruise to just relax, had to drag her out of the cabin even for dinner. But she is getting better, now I can even get her off the ship.

Jill B

The roaming Aussie
We like meeting new people, and get a table of 8 in the main dining room; we have been lucky with our tablemates so far. :) Traditional dining every time for us, it makes dinner an occasion :)