What's For Saturday Night Dinner?

R

rooy

good morning fellow foodies::chef

i recently purchased a new cookbook called The Silver Palate. apparently, it was quite popular in the 70's and is now back in vogue.
there were several articles, in print, and on-line, that caught my attention. i made this recipe a couple of weeks ago and loved it.... so, i'm making it again tonight!

Note: The overnite marination is essential to the moistness of the finished product. The chicken keeps and improves over several days of refrigeration. Travels well and makes excellent picnic fare. Also, when this is prepared with small drumsticks it makes a delicious hor d'oeuvre

Chicken Marabella ( i half the recipe )

4 chickens, 2 1/2 pounds each, quartered
1 head of garlic, peeled and finely pureed
1/4 cup dried oregano
coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup pitted prunes
1/2 cup pitted spanish green olives
1/2 cup capers with a bit of juice
6 bay leaves
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white wine
1/4 cup Italian parsley or fresh coriander (cilantro), finely chopped

In a large bowl, combine quartered chicken, garlic, oregano, pepper and coarse salt, vinegar, olive oil, prunes, olives, capers and juice and bay leaves. Cover and let marinate, refrigerated overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Arrange chicken in single layer in one or two large shallow baking pans and spoon marinade over it evenly. Sprinkle chicken pieces with brown sugar and pour white wine around them.

Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, basting frequently with pan juices. Chicken is done when thigh pieces pricked with fork at their thickest, yield yellow (rather than pink) juice.

With a slotted spoon transfer chicken, prunes, olives and capers to a serving platter. Moisten with a few spoonfuls of pan juices and sprinkle generously with parsley or cilantro. Pass remaining pan juices in a sauceboat.

To serve Chicken Marbella cold, cool to room temperature in cooking juices before transferring to a serving platter. If chicken has been covered and refrigerated, allow it to return to room temperature before serving. Spoon some of reserved juice over chicken.

16 serving pieces, 10 or more portions.

S

ShipMaven

Except for the garlic, sounds tempting. But...I've started back on my strict diet. :(

B

BostonsJ

Sounds good. I usually cook a big meal on Sunday. But Friday and Saturday night we eat whatever! Since I have to start a healthy eating plan on Monday I think Pizza will be on the agenda tonight! Thanks for the share.

S

sage

We're having beef stew, biscuits and chocolate cake for dessert. I love beef stew when it is cold and rainy outside.

R

reggae

Sounds good, Leslie...

I'm going to print out that recipe.

I think we are going to our local BBQ restaurant, where I always get the Michigan Vineyard Salad w/chicken (really good has greens, gorganzano (sp) cheese, dried Michigan cherries, walnuts, etc.) I have a gift card from Christmas to use.

G

GloBug

reggae, I want to go with you!

Don't know yet what I'll be fixing tonight. Just had breakfast, so dinner is the last thing on my mind. I'll let you know, now that you got me to thinking about it!

C

Cruise cutie

:(..it's plain boring old cheeseburgers,no rolls.. steamed cauliflower, black olives, and cottage cheese..=shrug.... low carbs is the ONLY weight thing that has worked consistently as a lifestyle for 26 + years..sigh.. so that's what we have..Yummo to those other entrees.....:)..Joanne

P

popcorn

We had spageitti, meatballs and sauce. Then I had 2 chocolate chip cookies.

Liz

G

GloBug

Dinner was a small leg of lamb on the spit outside, and smashed potatoes and a fully loaded salad. Dessert is key lime pie.