In response to the Aqua Amazon accident, in addition to providing financial support for the injured and families of the deceased, Aqua Expeditions has established a Family Support Fund for donations, it was announced this week by company founder and CEO, Francesco Galli Zugaro. On July 16, during the regular turn-around and restocking of the Aqua Amazon, an explosion occurred that caused the boat to sink. No passengers were onboard but there were crew members who lost their lives and others who were injured.
[pullquote]”We received an overwhelming amount of love and support from former guests, friends and colleagues in the travel industry in the wake of this horrible tragedy,” said Galli Zugaro. “Many asked how they could help, so we created the fund to provide a means for those who would like to support the families.” [/pullquote]Information on how to donate can be found on the company’s website:
Regarding the status of those who were hurt and injured, Aqua Expeditions has released the following update:
- Of the five Aqua Amazon crew that were missing, three bodies were found and two remain missing. The names of the deceased are:
- Antonio De Vasconcelos: Head Cook; 9 years with the company
- Aquiles Ramirez: Head Bartender; 9 years with the company
- David Luna: Cook; 3 years with the company
- Omar Da Silva: Support Personnel; 2 years with the company
- Anthony Farro: Cabin Steward; 1 year with the company
- The two supplier victims who were missing have both been found. They were:
- Teofilo Yahuarcani: Food Supply, JC Transport Company Dania
- Sandino Solsol: Fuel Supply, Officer Transport Company
- In total, 11 Aqua Amazon crew were injured; three have been evacuated to Lima; all others have been released from hospitals and are expected to make a full recovery. Of the suppliers injured and hospitalized two are recuperating in clinics and expected to make a full recovery.
The company’s other vessel on the Amazon, the Aria Amazon is operating with a full crew and guests along its regularly scheduled itinerary. All safety procedures are in place and additional precautions have been made to go above and beyond the company’s operating standards to provide additional peace of mind for both crew and guests.
“We at Aqua Expeditions are committed to cooperating with the authorities to determine the cause of this terrible accident,” added Galli Zugaro. “We are heartbroken at the loss of our crew members who were part of our extended family, and mourn their loss as well as those of our suppliers.”