Next year, for six months, the Netherlands will bloom brighter and a Bavarian village’s faith will be restored thanks to once-in-a-decade experiences: The Floriade and Oberammergau’s Passion Play. And, while these special events only happen every 10 years, for the first time, 2022 will see both play out across Europe. Avalon Waterways is offering travelers the chance to enjoy these special events with special sailings, plus its most robust line-up of “special interest’ cruises for 2022, making it a landmark year for river cruising.
- Passion at Play: Oberammergau Cruises An opportunity that arises once every 10 years is an opportunity not to be missed. A theatrical tradition since 1634, the world-famous Oberammergau Passion Play – which recalls the Passion from the Last Supper to the Crucifixion – has been performed in the quaint Bavarian village of Oberammergau once a decade. Because of the worldwide pandemic of 2020, this experience was postponed, for the first time in 400 years. And that makes its 2022 resurgence even more magical. On Avalon Waterways’ special Passion Play departures, in addition to exploring the Old World in a new way aboard award-winning Suite Ships, Avalon’s guests will enjoy premier seating for the Passion Play and accommodations in the heart of Oberammergau as well as the support of on-site staff, helping them make the most of their stay. Avalon is offering three (3) Oberammergau itineraries in 2022 sailing the Rhine and Danube Rivers.
- Bloom & Grow: Floriade Cruises Avalon is also inviting travelers to be their guest at the 2022 International Horticultural Exhibition Floriade Expo. To join in this celebration of phenomenal flora in all its finery and fill their senses with color, fragrance and fantastic food. This amazing event in the Dutch town of Almere can now be witnessed as an included excursion on three (3) Holland river cruises with Avalon Waterways. It’s also available as an optional excursion on 12 itineraries.
In addition to its “special event” itineraries, Avalon is offering a plethora of “special interest” cruises in 2022, inviting travelers to pack their passions on vacation. “These itineraries complement stories with stout, winding scenery with wine, palatial impressions with palaces and photography and fairytale villages with holiday festivities,” said Pam Hoffee, managing director of Avalon Waterways. “Our special interest vacations unite our guests with their pastimes and other like-minded travelers.”
- Holiday Joy and Jolly: Festive Time Cruises Experience the holiday season the European way! Travelers will enjoy the jolly atmosphere on their festively decorated Suite Ship as they delight in the sights, smells, tastes and local traditions of Europe’s Christmas markets. In 2022, Avalon Waterways is offering 17 Christmas Cruises throughout Europe.
- The World in Red & White: Wine Cruises Whether travelers are weekend-sippers or wannabe sommeliers, it’s time to take a cruise where the river and Rieslings flow. On these wine cruises, vino-lovers of the world unite with the world’s most renowned winemakers and wine masters on the rolling vineyards of Europe along the Danube, Moselle, Rhône and Saône Rivers.
- Adventure is Brewing: Beer Cruises Pairing fascinating history with a beverage that goes just as far back in time, an Avalon beer cruise promises incredible scenery and visits to the greatest beer scenes in Europe. NEW for 2022 are Bites, Brews & Viewscruises through Holland & Belgium.
- Palate-Pleasing Fun: Culinary Cruises From fondue to fromage, from croissants to crepes, France is home to food-lovers who love to share famous dishes and to dish over the stories behind authentic recipes. Savor an adventure in haute cuisine and family favorites on a culinary cruise through Burgundy and Provence.
- Picture-Perfect: Photography Cruise Focus your sights on the beauty, history, people, and natural wonders of Europe on a picture-perfect cruise for photography enthusiasts. Whether you’re an accomplished photographer or an aspiring shutterbug, you’ll develop your skills along Europe’s most iconic rivers.
- Tip-Toe Through Tulips: Garden & Nature Cruises With seasonal blossoms ready to burst, the fields of Holland and Belgium erupt in a spectacle of epic proportions in the springtime. Nature lovers and green thumbs will relish this ultimate garden party on an Avalon Garden & Nature cruise.
- Remembrance on the River: World War II Cruises All river cruises venture back in time. These World War II history cruises make a special trip to the 1940s to honor and commemorate the significant sites of the second World War and the fearless and fallen that fought for freedom.
- Once Upon a Castle: Habsburg Cruises From the palaces of Budapest and Vienna to the castles and estates of the surrounding countryside, it’s time to sip Champagne in the same reception rooms, walk the same art-filled corridors and even take a waltz lesson in the grand ball tradition of Europe’s royal past.
- Under the Star: Jewish Heritage Cruises Deep in the Jewish quarters of Europe’s most historic cities, explore museums and monuments, cemeteries and synagogues and get the touching stories behind them all on-site and with onboard lectures.