Beware of Viking cruises

Steve B

Booked an Australia/New Zealand cruise with Viking for 2021. Cruise was cancelled. Opted for the cruise voucher at 125%. Re-booked for 2022. Cost went up by $800.00 which was more than covered by the voucher at 125%.Cruise was just cancelled. Tried to re-book for 2023 and was quoted a rate of an additional $4600.00 which is 1800.00 more than the 125% voucher we were issued. Now they are only offering a voucher at 110% of what you paid. Seems like Viking had a plan to raise their prices well beyond the 125% voucher value so they would not have to absorb this cost. So much for Viking asking us for our loyalty and support during these tough times. Smart business plan. Right on if your goal is to profit in the short term at the expense of driving returning customers away. Screw me once shame on you. Screw me twice shame on me.

Beware of Viking. Think very hard before you take what is now a 110% voucher vs. opting for a full refund due to their pricing strategies.

Once the frenzy dies down, Viking will wish they had treated their customers better. Anytime a company develops a strategic plan that looks at the short term results only without looking at the long term ramifications will be in trouble down the road.
I will try to use my vouchers as best as I can and then will book any future cruises with other companies- never to return to Viking again. They will not screw me a second time

Beware of Viking.

DrKoob

Bar Steward
Once the frenzy dies down, Viking will wish they had treated their customers better. Anytime a company develops a strategic plan that looks at the short term results only without looking at the long term ramifications will be in trouble down the road.
I will try to use my vouchers as best as I can and then will book any future cruises with other companies- never to return to Viking again. They will not screw me a second time
Actually in my experience, they won't wish they had treated their customers better. Their customers will love them either way. Those prices did not go up because of some plan. They went up because everyone who was cancelled during the pandemic is going nuts trying to book a cruise. Any cruise. What you are seeing is just supply and demand at work. The more the demand, the less the supply, the higher the price. And in recovering from the pandemic, if they can charge that much, they will. Wouldn't you if you knew the ship would sell out? Most of their cruises Down Under in 2023 are either sold out or have very few staterooms left.

This is the same as we are seeing in the automobile industry right now with both new and used cars. The pricing is through the roof. Why? Because there are no cars and there are lots of people who want to buy them. Same thing.

Viking (especially Viking Ocean) cruisers are the most loyal people in the world. Once you go that way, it is hard to come back. Their cruises are always a lot more expensive than other companies that are not full on luxury brands and yet they sell them out constantly. I am in the travel industry and no other company is seeing the kind of bookings we are seeing for Viking Ocean. I have people already asking about 2024.

I don't work for Viking so if you decide not to sail with them again that is OK with me. More room for me.

Jim

rico567

Deck Crew
We are among those who will travel Viking if we go river / ocean cruising. We have found their service to be excellent, and refuse to travel on a floating theme park. There have been numerous frustrations associated with the Age of Pandemic, but in this case it comes under the category of First World Problems, no sympathy from me.

helgahans

BE WARNED!!!
We embarked on a 28 day Mediterranean Viking cruise in the summer of last year. The cost was $48,000 +.
This cruise was actually 4 segments of 7 days each starting in Istanbul and ending in Barcelona.
NEGATIVES:
Very hot weather everywhere
Thousands of humans everywhere. Sometimes 4 ships at same anchorage adding up to more than 10,000 peeps.
No warning that just getting off the ship required long walks. Lots and lots of walking because tour buses could not get past the crowds.
Food was mediocre at best
Entertainment was really a joke
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER go on a Mediterranean cruise in the summer. PERIOD, AMEN

May talk ourselves into one short Viking river cruise.