Sapphire Princess

Z

zooey

We are not. However, we sailed on the Sapphire in late July last year and had a truly glorious time. The ship was gorgeous; the food delectable; the shows energetic and impressive in quality; the comedians a riot, the on-board talk by Libby Riddles,the first woman to win the Iditarod was fascinating, the scenary was magnificent. My husband and I-- in our 40s loved it-- our 12 year old loved it-- my 70 year old mother loved it. The icebergs were spectacular. We went rock climbing up in the forest in Skagway and it was so fun; we hiked the mountian in Juneau and were literally awash in etheral mist; we watched and spoke with a totem carver and his nephew apprentice in Ketichan and learned how important their craft is to their family bonds. Trust us, the whole cruise was superb. You are going to have a blast. We did.

N

NCMom

We just made our reservations for this cruise yesterday....I can't wait!!!!! :)

I am still looking for a motel to book though in Seattle, we have to go a day early because of the airline schedule.

J

Janie1111

Where are you from? We live in Seattle and my mother-in-law is coming with us from Tennessee.

N

NCMom

We live in NC. We are meeting up with my FIL, MIL, in-law Uncles and Aunts too. There will be 8 of us total.

This will be our (DH and I) second cruise....we met up with all the above family last year too as well as our kids. So this time DH and I will be without the kids. :)

The above family is out there on the West Coast already.

P.S. We will be on the Baja Deck

J

Janie1111

This is our 2nd cruise also. We went to the caribbean in Nov. 03 for our 25th anniversary. This time we're bringing two of our three children ages 23 and 15 and my mother in law. Where did you go on your first cruise. We're on the Aloha deck.

N

NCMom

We went to the Western Caribbean last May on the new Caribbean Princess Ship to celebrate our wedding. :) We took our kids with us at the time they were 18, 16 & 12, they all had a blast!!! Now its our turn to go without kids! LOL

My MIL & FIL have already been to Alaska and they say its absolutely beautiful!!! My MIL works for Princess so they have gone on MANY cruises.

J

Janie1111

Are you planning any shore excursions? We were thinking of the train ride in Skagway so far. Janie

N

NCMom

Yes we are planning on doing the Juneau Whale Watching and my husband would LOVE to do the Sled Dogs.

The train ride sounds like fun too, I haven't checked into it yet. Are you making your excursions through Princess or on your own? I am going to make reservations through Capt. Larry for the whale watching. We haven't decided on anything else as of this time.

I am so excited, the more I look at all the photos, I wish it was tomorrow we were leaving! HAHA

I am going to make reservations today through Red Lyon hotel, it appears to be a really nice place and close to the ports.

J

Janie1111

I was thinking of the sled dog thing also. Too bad it's not on snow. How did you hear about captain Larry?
Are you staying at the Red Lion by the airport? If so it's about 20-25 minutes to the port. We live about 15 minutes away from the pier. I wish more people would sign on to this site.

N

NCMom

I got on Priceline after much research and put in $100 for a 4 star hotel and we got reservations at The Westin Seattle downtown.

It must be nice to live THAT close to the port!!! This will be our first time to Seattle. We wont have much time to look around, but I am anxious to see it there.

I read about Capt. Larry from the Alaska Forum here, I saw where many ppl went with him and they realy enjoyed it. It sounds more personal and not as crowded. I believe I read where he takes out about 20 or so ppl at a time. Here is his website...
http://alaskawhalewatching.com/

The pictures he has on his website are just BEAUTIFUL!!!

I am hoping as it gets closer that more people will be going on this cruise.

J

Janie1111

I guess starting saturday we can reserve are shore excursions. My two daughters want to do some differant things then us so I think we might split up. That way everybody is happy. I wish the time would hurry up. Have you bought anything yet? That web site you told me about has really beautiful pictures.

L

lovelyladi

My husband and I will be joined by our 27 yo son on this cruise. Cannot wait! Will start checking the tours as soon as they are available. Want to do the dog sleds but not sure of other tours yet

I am pleased too hear that people are doing so well booking a pre cruise hotel on Priceline. I have never tried it b4 but 100 a nite for a 4* sounds great...we will need 2 rooms.

J

Janie1111

You might want to check out the Mayflower Park hotel. We stayed there last weekend for Valentine's Day and it was great. We live in Seattle so we don't need to reserve a room.

J

Janie1111

I booked a couple of tours today. My daughters are going horse back riding in Skagway. My husband and Mil and myself will do the white pass railway. I also booked the tram in Juneau. I don't want to do to many so that we have time to look around the towns. How about you?

L

lovelyladi

We are from San Diego (myself and dh) and our son is from San Francisco.

I haven't booked the tours yet but we are thinking of a dog sled experience (should we blow for the one on snow for $$00 each?...seems a little extravagent or is the $100 one good enough?) We are also considering the white pass railway or the jeep tour or?) Any suggestions?

K

KDBARR02

WE are going on the sapphire on the 22nd of May. We are counting the days. In Skagway we are taking the yukon experience, and in juneau we are doing the mendenhall/whale watching. We are counting the days, and are getting our clothes packed.

J

Janie1111

On Mother's Day we plan to drive to a viewpoint that is 10 minutes away and we can watch the Sapphire leaving. I can't wait until June 26th but that will make it seem closer.

N

NCMom

Oh kdbarr02 you must be so excited!!! You don't have long to go at all. You will have to let us know al about it when you get back too. :)
I hope you have a fantastic time!!!!

Janie, I can just picture that ship now sitting there so huge and pretty! :)
I can't wait until June either....it seems like a long way off but it really isn't when I think of everything that has to be done before we leave! LOL