Waving flags, cheering team members and a “Welcome Home” sign greeted guests as they joined Holland America Line’s Koningsdam at the Port of San Diego today for the cruise line’s first West Coast departure since the start of the industry-wide pause.
The Pinnacle Class vessel is the largest Holland America Line ship to be sailing from the West Coast, and Oct. 10 is the first in a series of 23 seven-day cruise to the California Coast or Mexico that run through April 3, 2022.
In addition to Koningsdam, Zuiderdam also will sail roundtrip cruises from San Diego on longer Mexico explorations, a grand monthlong voyage to Tahiti, and Panama Canal departures. Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam each make one call in spring 2022.
Holland America Line Cruises from San Diego in 2021-2022:
- 23 seven-day cruise departures to Mexico or the California Coast.
- Four 9-, 10- or 14-day “Mexico and Sea of Cortez” cruises from December 2021 through April 2022.
- Two 14-day Panama Cruises in January 2022.
- A 35-Day Hawaii, Tahiti & Marquesas voyage departing Feb. 27, 2022.
- One five-day Pacific Coastal cruise from San Diego to Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, departing April 22, 2022.
- One four-day Pacific Coastal cruise from San Diego to Vancouver, departing April 25, 2022.
- One five-day Pacific Coastal cruise from San Diego to Vancouver, departing April 26, 2022.
Holland America Line has been homeporting out of the Port of San Diego since the 1990s. For the upcoming 2021-2022 season, the cruise line will bring more than 81,000 guests to the city, which will result in more than $35 million in direct spending.
Holland America Continues San Diego Sailings
Operationally, each ship visit directly contributes $364,000 to the local economy in provisioning (fuel, food, flowers, piano tuning, supplies), port taxes, and spending. When Koningsdam and Zuiderdam call at San Diego, both ships will be using shore power, reducing the ships’ carbon footprint.
Throughout the years, Holland America Line has been actively involved with more than 30 nonprofits in San Diego County through giving, shipboard lunches and cruise donations, including La Jolla Playhouse, San Ysidro Health and Girl Scouts San Diego.
For more information about Holland America Line, consult a travel advisor, call 1-877-SAIL HAL (877-724-5425) or visit hollandamerica.com.