GRAND PRINCESS APRIL 4, 2004

C

CYCLONE

Hey anybody cruising on the Grand Princess 4-4-04. This is our first cruise and we are excited and nervous. We have a million questions, and the boards are great for tips and info. We are in our 30's and hope for a great trip. Been to Cancun a couple times and we thought we would float the caribbean this time around. Any advice for us cruise rookies lets hear from you, we are all ears.

M

mikeh

Hello Cyclone, we will be on the Ship with you. Have been on the Grand in Oct 02. Its a great ship. We will have 10 of us. Even with 2600 passengers and the huge crew we never seemed cramped.

C

CYCLONE

Mikeh, do you have any suggestions on shore excursions. I booked 3 through Princess, just wondered if they are worth while.

Grand Caymen- String Ray City (Snorkel boat)

Costa Maya - Unimog 4x4 beach expedition with lunch

Cozumel - Passion Island beach adventure with lunch

M

mikeh

We only took one excursion on the Grand when we went , that was a snorkeling trip on a catamaran. Its was for people that had some knowledge of snorkling(which 3 of us didnt). But the beginers one got cancelled. We had a good time but by the time we got confident enough it was time to get out of the water. That was at Costa Maya. We went on Norwegian Majesty last year and took the Mayan Ruins/Beach tour and had a blast.(except when the Bus broke down). But in both cases we found that being in the different areas we wanted to look around the city and see how others lived. But this time one of the couples wants to take a few excursions. May be a little hard as we are going to have my Mother and both Inlaws along and they really cant walk very far.

C

CYCLONE

Thanks for the advice. We are good snorkelers, we have been to Cancun a couple of times and loved it. We have also seen some of the ruins in Mexico, really not my cup of tea 2 hours in a bus and its 104 degrees in the Jungle when we went, sweat like dogs. I decided then I had seen enough ruins for a life time and will stick to swimming in the cool water. Hope your cruise is wonderful and who knows we might run into each other on the boat, look for the guy in the Cyclone hat.

M

mikeh

Its a big ship but just might. Ill be the one wearing either a Wisconsin or Green Bay Packer Hat. Last time we were on the Ship I was called on during one of the Comedian shows and then spent the hole cruise hearing people saying hey theres Mike from Wisconsin. My Wife and friends still tease me about it. Or when we went into ports they kept calling me Mr Wiskers. Cant wait just 2 more months. Its so cold here I could leave tommorrow.

C

CYCLONE

I know what you mean it is snowing again here in Iowa, we have a winter storm warning. Expecting another 12 to 15 inches today through tomorrow night. Wish we were leaving right now. It has not been to bad of a winter until last week below zero temps and one snow storm after the other. Heck two weeks ago it was 55 degrees one day. I do hate winter. I'll be looking for a guy in a Packer hat. Sorry about that playoff loss, I can't believe Farve threw a ball like that in OT. We are Chiefs, and Bear fans here. And to tell you the truth I'm not even excited about the Super Bowl which starts in a couple hours. I will watch but could careless about the Pats, or the Panthers. Guess I will watch for the commercials. Happy shoveling.

M

mikeh

Cyclone, being from Iowa Where are you flying out from. Are you flying in the day before or the day of? Had a heck of a time finding flight that they didnt want my first born child for. We are flying out on 4/03/04 from Chicago and staying at the Springhill Suites.

C

CYCLONE

We are flying out of Des Moines, the day before the cruise. Staying at Comfort Suites in Davie Fl. I had a heck of a time on airfare also. Des Moines is not exactly the hub of the midwest, so in the past we have drove 5 hrs to Minneapolis, and 3 hrs to Kansas City to save a few bucks. I told my wife never again. It is not fun a 5 hr drive after flying all day, and especially after a hard week of drinking on vacation. Last time we went to Cancun after the flight, and drive, getting home at 12:30 am and you have to go work the next day is horrible.

I booked air a couple weeks ago, and they must have raised fares due to the fuel prices or something. I went to Travelocity.com had 2 roundtrip tickets on American with stop in Dallas/Ft Worth, for $805, I didn't push the purchase button cause I was talking to my wife on the phone at work about some other cruise related subject. When I got off the phone and hit purchase, the price jumped to $1300, I just about had a heartattack, waited 10 minutes and the price went up $500. Needless to say I was just a little bit _issed. So I called my travel agent and she said everything just went thought the roof on airfare, her customers were screaming mad. I looked some more on the internet and had zero luck. Finally I thought I would go straight to American Airlines website, and lucked out, the exact same flight I had picked, was for $855, only went up $50. I jumped on it.

I was curious the other day, and checked my flight again on American's site, the fare had also jumped to $1300. I was so glad I got those $850 tickets. Flying out of Des Moines is terribly expensive. But we are only 20 minutes from the airport no 5 hr drive. What's your drive from Wisconsin to O'hare?

M

mikeh

We ran into a little problem with our TA at AAA. We called and inquired about the cruise on a Thurs and told them we needed a prices by Friday as we wanted to discuss the cruise with parents and friend over the weekend, never got a responce. Went into the office on Sat and found out that our TA was on a leave as they put it (found out later that she was released). Wife called and yelled at the branch manager as the flight we were looking at going direct out of Madison to FLL was now $475 each gone up from $232 in just one day So she told the branch manager that this would more than likely make this cruise not happen as we are paying for six people. Then we decided to drive (did that last year on a Norweigan Cruise). But TA spent a whole morning and got us 10 flights at a group rate out of Midway on Southwest Airlines for $196. each. Its about a
2-3 hour drive from Madison, but better than a 24-28 to drive. We too have taken that 5 hour drive to Minneapolis to get decent flights, but this time it was more expensive. I was so surprised the last time we went on the Grand was in Oct 2002 and the flights were so easy to get.

Last year when we went on Spring Break with Norweigan we were very dissapointed. The Cruise was filled with College kids. They seemed to cater to them and the drinking got a little out of hand. Crew was getting frustrated with them, vomiting and urinating all over the place. Decided then that price was not the best reason for taking a cruise. Hoping that Princess limits the amount of College aged people. This is suppose to be a vacation of a lifetime for Mother and Inlaws.

We should try to meet sometime on the Ship. But we got lots of time to schedule that.

C

CYCLONE

WOW, $192 now thats a good fare even with a bit of driving.

I also know what you mean about spring breakers. The last Cancun trip flight out of Minneapolis on a ATA charter direct flight to Cancun. It was my wife and I, and the rest of the plane was full of high school kids without chaperons. This was in mid April long after the traditional spring break, I don't know why these kids were going late. But the flight was hell, and the trip back was double hell. Only good thing is those brats stayed on the strip in Cancun and we were south at the Moon Palace. We didn't have to see them for a week. I had to help a flight attendant on the way home tell one drunk kid to stay in his seat. NIGHTMARE. I would never let my high school age kid go on a trip like that. I suppose when my kids get to college they will do what ever they want, but if they are living under my roof no way.

C

CYCLONE

Hey Mike,
How dressed up do people get on formal night? Do you wear a tux? Is it easy to rent a tux? I'm thinking of renting tux, if I have to pack a pair of slacks, shirt, tie, and sport coat plus a pair of dress shoes, that takes up alot of space in my luggage. Have any suggestions on which way to go. Part of me says blow off the formal dinner, hit the buffett, and be done with it. But of couse my wife doesn't think that is a great idea, and to enjoy the full cruise experience we have to attend formal night. What to do? I might just punt.

M

mikeh

I got really lucky before we went on the Grand the first time. We went to Gurnee Mall and found a place selling Tuxes for $50.00. Being a rather big fellow 6 foot 275 lbs I grab it. I didnt think I would like the formal nights but really sort of look forward to it. We seen people with Tuxes and Formals and people with just suit Jackets and Pant suits.. One of the couples going along this time is also rather big 6 foot 375lbs and his wife says HE IS going to get a suit for the formal nights. If i wouldn't have found this tux I think I would have gone with rental. But then again as much as we enjoy cruising Im glad that I bought one. It does make for a lot of luggage , Tux and formal wear for wife , but I still glad that I did it. The last formal night is lobster night, I would miss that.

T

Teapartea

Hi Cyclone & Mike H & other April 4 cruisers!
We will be on this cruise as well! We are also rookies and will be travelling with 3 kids, 6,7,& 14. We were also considering skipping formal nights instead of packing the extra clothes for all of us! Any one else travelling with children on this cruise? We would welcome any tips or comments about formal nights, excursions, coke cards, packing.....etc!
Thanks!!
Tea

C

CYCLONE

Hey Tea,
Welcome aboard. My three kids are staying home on this voyage, and they are not happy about it. They will get their vacation come summer time. I'm a rookie too, so I don't have any advice, I guess I will live and learn once we get on the ship. Mike is a professional ask him and he will give ya good advice.

Cyclone

M

mikeh

Welcome Teapartea

Professional What is the question. I am very glad to see that my 13 year old will have playmates on this cruise. The formal nights are really a important part of cruises. We cherish the pictures that were taken on those nights and have passed them on to family members. The dining atmosphere is somehing you will alway remember, For our family getting to dine in a 5 star atmosphere is not something we get to do very often. The Coke cards are a great idea for kids, when we went on the Grand before it was $22.50 and they gave you a plastic tote glass you can refill at any bar. We will buy two one for me and one for my daughter, wife doesnt drink enough pop to justify.

T

Teapartea

Thanks for the info Cyclone & Mike!
Mike, Is your 13 yo agirl or boy? My daughter is in 8th grade and will be 14 by cruise time.
Have you selected personal choice or seatings?
Tea

M

mikeh

Teapartea

13 year old girl in seventh grade. We have personal choice dinning, its the only way to go. If your in port then you dont have to be hurried back to dine. Like the idea of getting their when Im ready. MIght be hard this time, getting 10 people to get ready at one time.

C

CYCLONE

Hey Mike,

Have another question for you. We just received our first set of cruise documents. I have looked through them but it does not tell me what night is the formal dinner. With a 7 day cruise will have 1 formal, do you have any idea what night it is on?

I have decided to rent the tux, can't be out dressed by you Wisconsin folks. That way I don't have to pack extra dress clothes. I see the Hawkeyes bout beat the Badgers last night, Hawks lost by a bucket. Tough basketball season here in Iowa, Hawks and Cyclones suck.

We also read some reviews of Costa Maya and have decided to cancel our 4x4 beach excursion, and go spend our money in the village of Mahahual at a little beach bar called TAPAS. The wife and I love little dive bars, we have found a few on Isla Mujeres off of Cancun. And this Tapas sits right on the beach, we plan to kick back have lunch, drink cervesa, soak in some sun and mexican culture. Sounds like a very relaxing day to me.

Let me know if you know what night of our cruise is the formal.

Thanks
Cyclone

M

mikeh

Dear Cyclone

Glad to hear that you decided to go to the formal nights. Think you wife will let you wear you Cyclone hat with it. Really sound like the way to go with the suit, less to pack and haul around. If I can remember there was two formal nights, First one was on Tuesday and the second was Saturday (lobster ).

Wasnt much other to do in Costa Maya, we went on a catamaran snorkling, but went thru Majahaul on the way. Looked kinda interesting. But what you have planned sound like fun and relaxing. Are you booking your excursions thru the ship or on your own. We booked last time thru Princess and were sort of looking at taking Mother and inlaws to the Turtle farm and Hell on Grand Cayman.

Badgers got LUCKY last night, watched most of the second half and now have no fingernails left. When that last minutes shot went up my heart missed a few beats.