The Duck Crew - 18 Apr 2013 - We Take on Hawai'i - QUACK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloBug

Senior Flea Coller Tester
laughter.gif

GloBug

57 weeks to go! When should I start packing?

Nohili e - YouTube

60 Weeks
until we sail for
Paradise in the Pacific,
our Circle Hawai'i
cruise aboard HAL Zaandam.

Oahu
Carnival_Hawaii-07.jpg

Zaandam_HNL_Pali3.jpg

Maui
Zaandam_LahainaWhale3-1.jpg

Lahaina_Lele1.jpg

Big Island
Zaandam_HiloMcKenzieStatePark1.jpg

hawaii-kilauea-volcano.jpg

Kauai
2511648135_3a94295baf.jpg

Welcome aboard HAL Zaandam's
17-night Circle Hawai'i cruise
departing Vancouver 18 April 2013.

Aloha nui loa,
Mele Ana
(Mary Ann in Hawai'ian)

GloBug

Oooh, that just made the longing even stronger. I am very much looking forward to visiting Hawaii. DH got an offer to transfer to the VA in Hawaii, but at that time I think the quarantine for dogs was six weeks (?) and that sealed the deal for me. Not only NO, but HELL NO!

ShipMaven

Forever Remembered

Mahalo for the link, Beryl.

Calgon, Beryl's link dates about 10+ years after I sailed on Lurline. Duckies, here's a video (a bit long) that is presumed to be from 1950 - when I sailed.

Over The Sea To Honolulu 1950c - YouTube

The pier/terminal itself in this video is much the same as when we'll disembark from Zaandam. I always have instant flashbacks to 1950 when I walk around the terminal and there's a Matson liner mural on one of the walls. There's the Aloha Tower Marketplace across the street from the terminal that is much newer. (Quite frankly, I enjoy doing my souvenir shopping at that Marketplace.) The views of Waikiki Beach with the Moana Hotel and the "Pink Lady" - the Royal Hawaiian - are what I remember from that first visit. Nowadays, it's one hotel squeezed in next to the other.

JacquieP

Staff Captain
I LOVE the Marketplace! Last visit, I bought a beautiful hand painted silk jacket there, and it will most likely be worn on one of our formal nights.

GloBug

Mahalo for the link, Beryl.

Calgon, Beryl's link dates about 10+ years after I sailed on Lurline. Duckies, here's a video (a bit long) that is presumed to be from 1950 - when I sailed.

Over The Sea To Honolulu 1950c - YouTube

The pier/terminal itself in this video is much the same as when we'll disembark from Zaandam. I always have instant flashbacks to 1950 when I walk around the terminal and there's a Matson liner mural on one of the walls. There's the Aloha Tower Marketplace across the street from the terminal that is much newer. (Quite frankly, I enjoy doing my souvenir shopping at that Marketplace.) The views of Waikiki Beach with the Moana Hotel and the "Pink Lady" - the Royal Hawaiian - are what I remember from that first visit. Nowadays, it's one hotel squeezed in next to the other.

Great video! Fun to see an old cruising ship and old Hawaii. Looking forward to being a "visi-tor"!

Calgon1

Awaiting results of mental evaluation
After the horrible loss we have all suffered, this cruise will, indeed, be bittersweet. I urge everyone to not cancel. Mary Ann absolutely loved the sea and cruises. I think one of the best ways we can honor her, is for her "Duck Crew" to demonstrate that we have learned that lesson. Pat and I will be in Vancouver next year, and I will buy the first round.

Hens, Drakes, Ducklings and DITs ... A toast ... "Here's to us, and those like us. Damn few left. God Bless you Mary Ann!"

balcony_toast.jpg

Charles

Captain Weather
I certainly expect to be there. And I'll be toasting Mary Ann!

c

Status
Not open for further replies.