What's the weather like today where you live??

Mbandy

Staff Captain
Always nice to see the weather thread re-surface. :sunny:

Supposed to make it to 104 today then 106 tomorrow back to the 110's by Monday.

ShipMaven

Forever Remembered
Erik,

Wow! 110-112F… :beach:
Is it common with these high temperatures?

Here in the eastern part of Sweden it has been sunny with about 80F today. Perfect for a day in the garden!
The highest temperature that we have had this summer is 95F, which is also the highest I have experienced for the last 20 years.

I looked at the weather statistics for Sweden and the highest recorded temperature ever (at least for the last 110 years) is 100F in the southern part of Sweden in June 1947 and the lowest recorded is -63F in the far north in February 1966.

/Erik

Interesting temperature statistics for Sweden. Thank you.

As you may know, Arizona is in the southwestern United States. Our altitudes range from pretty much sea level to over 2.200 meters (7,000+ feet) in the northern part of the state. Phoenix is in the Sonoran Desert, though it's hard to believe we're in the desert. The highest temperature ever recorded in Phoenix was 122F (50C) in June 1990. Flights into and out of Phoenix Airport had to be suspended until the temperature dropped to below 120F (48,9C) because aircraft operating manuals only went as high as 120F. So far this summer, we have had 18 days with temperatures at, or above, 110F (43,3C)...and our summer heat usually lasts until the end of September.

BUT...our heat normally is a "dry" heat with very low humidity. As I write, our humidity is only 10%. While hot is hot, our low humidity makes it much more bearable.

And this probably is more than you ever wanted to know! :whistle:

popcorn

Staff Captain
Here in the eastern Fraser Valley of BC at 1:45PM the temperature is 30C or 86F.

Liz

Mbandy

Staff Captain
What Mary Ann said is correct about the dry heat. Here in the Mojave desert (and the Sonoran too) with our low humidities we can be at 103 with a "feels like" of 98. Unlike back east where it can be 95 with a "feels like" of 103.

Great to be a desert rat :biggrin:

Funnel

Food and Beverage Manager- Special Contributor
Erik,

Interesting temperature statistics for Sweden. Thank you.

As you may know, Arizona is in the southwestern United States. Our altitudes range from pretty much sea level to over 2.200 meters (7,000+ feet) in the northern part of the state. Phoenix is in the Sonoran Desert, though it's hard to believe we're in the desert. The highest temperature ever recorded in Phoenix was 122F (50C) in June 1990. Flights into and out of Phoenix Airport had to be suspended until the temperature dropped to below 120F (48,9C) because aircraft operating manuals only went as high as 120F. So far this summer, we have had 18 days with temperatures at, or above, 110F (43,3C)...and our summer heat usually lasts until the end of September.

BUT...our heat normally is a "dry" heat with very low humidity. As I write, our humidity is only 10%. While hot is hot, our low humidity makes it much more bearable.

And this probably is more than you ever wanted to know! :whistle:

Interesting Mary Ann! Then I can understand why you think it is OK with such high temperatures.
Over here it normally is rather high humidity when it is warm (today about 70-75%).
This time of year is called “Rot month†(don’t know if that is a good translation but Google Translate suggested that) because we have very high humidity now. The clothes will not dry after washing them and it’s not possible to store food for a long time.

Interesting that the aircraft operating manuals only went to 120F. :hot:
I work with gas turbines (similar to aero engines) and they work better the colder it is. Normally above 100F we call it “tropical†environment and the turbines operating in these temperatures have some special design features to keep up the power a bit.

/Erik

ShipMaven

Forever Remembered
Rötmånaden ? Rotting month? Interesting. Everything dries very quickly here. I am merely guessing that the very high humidity in Sweden can cause moldy conditions that can ruin food quickly.

My late Father was an aeronautical engineer. I know jet engines (jet turbines) are more efficient in cold weather because the air is denser. I am guessing this may be long before you were born, but the early jet engines (circa 1960) on Boeing aircraft (probably Pratt & Whitney turbines) had water injection systems to give the engines the extra power (thrust) that was needed at takeoff.

It's very interesting "chatting" with you, Erik.

Funnel

Rötmånaden ? Rotting month? Interesting. Everything dries very quickly here. I am merely guessing that the very high humidity in Sweden can cause moldy conditions that can ruin food quickly.

My late Father was an aeronautical engineer. I know jet engines (jet turbines) are more efficient in cold weather because the air is denser. I am guessing this may be long before you were born, but the early jet engines (circa 1960) on Boeing aircraft (probably Pratt & Whitney turbines) had water injection systems to give the engines the extra power (thrust) that was needed at takeoff.

It's very interesting "chatting" with you, Erik.

Yes, Rötmånaden is exactly what it is called in Swedish. Rotting month is maybe more correct than Rot month.

I have never heard that some jet engines used to have water injection (I don’t remember much of the 60’s as I was born in 67). That was interesting! Here you learn something new every day! :doubleup:
We use water or steam injection in some of our gas turbines of exactly the same reason. A bonus is that it also reduces the emissions (especially the nitric oxides).

I agree, it’s interesting chatting with you, Mary Ann. You seem to know a lot about almost everything!

Oh, and today it has been 80F again with sun from a clear blue sky. Due to the high level of humidity it has been a perfect day for relaxing in the garden – a good book, (cool) sunglasses and something cold to drink. :cool:

/Erik

ShipMaven

Forever Remembered
Erik,

It's a mere 41,1C (106F) as I write. Too hot to do much other than enjoy air conditioning!

Although this refers to military jet engines, you might find this link interesting about "TRT" (Take-off Rated Thrust).

The Pratt & Whitney J57 Jet Engine

On our first jet flight (as opposed to prop-jets that had excellent thrust), we lost half our power at take-off because the water injection system failed on one side of the plane. We had a very flat and relatively slow take-off, circled the field twice then continued on our way. It was a TWA 707 transcontinental version from New York to San Francisco (Pratt & Whitney jet engines). The intercontinental version of the plane was larger and with a somewhat longer range, though nowhere near what long-range jets can do nowadays. The 707 were wonderful planes.

I hope you enjoyed your garden today!

Please feel free to join us at our Saturday Open House and Sunday Open House - "virtual" get togethers around the world for our @ddicts and their pets. I host the humans, and my little dog, Pucci, hosts the furbabies.:biggrin:

Last edited:

Funnel

Mary Ann,
Thanks for the J57-link! Very interesting!
4 days ago there were 3 military planes chasing each other just above my summer house. They used their afterburners a lot, it almost made me deaf.

My first flight was with a 720B in 1976, a mid-range version of 707 for shorter runways. 707/720 was my favourite plane for a lot of years. In the 70’s a 707 felt really big.

Yes, I may join in at your Open House. I don’t have any dog but… wait… maybe I can borrow one… we’ll see… :whistle:

Yesterday was a perfect day for relaxing in the garden! Today we had only 73F and no sun. It was still rather nice as there was no rain.
Tomorrow it’s off to work again after 4 weeks holiday. :bang:

/Erik

ShipMaven

Forever Remembered
Erik,

The noise and vibration from those afterburners must have been terrible. I think - but am not sure - that such maneuvers are prohibited here over residential areas. I know that going supersonic over residential areas is prohibited because of the shock waves from the sonic boom.

The B720 had a relatively short service life in the U.S.A. - yes, a nice plane but the B707 and the B727 were more efficient. The 727 became much more popular for the shorter runways...and then came the 737 in the Boeing fleet. I now love the 747's and 777's.

My first flight was on a turboprop - the Lockheed Electra - in February 1960. Although we enjoyed flying in the Electra, it had a very troubled record with a number of fatal crashes.

You don't need a dog to come to Open House - my dog, Pucci, just enjoys hosting the pets of other Cruise @ddicts. :biggrin:

And to return to the topic of this thread, we currently are 104F (40C) and sunny. :sunny:

I hope you won't find work too gruesome when you return tomorrow.

tutak

Getting EVEN closer to suspension
Another beautiful day here in the Akron area. Sunny and a high of 82.

Whimsy

Staff Captain
Finally a break from the high temps. We are only supposed to be at 88 today. Will feel cool after all the high 90 and 100 degree days we have been having. Back into the mid to upper 90's by the end of the week though.

Keith & Rita

3rd Officer
Lower temps and humidity here today in the Lower Ohio River Valley. It's about time!:clap::clap:

ShipMaven

Forever Remembered
Here in the Phoenix metro area, it's currently 89F with 47% humidity (high for us), so it feels like 92F. Monsoons may be moving in again.

Funnel

Mary Ann,

I did not think they were allowed to fly over residential areas with afterburners here also, but they were over the lake and maybe that does not count as residential area.

The worst noise I have experienced was when I was standing 15 feet below a hovering helicopter and tried to unhook the load that hung in a wire from it.

If I remember correct the B720 was used only for a short period over here too.

Well, maybe I can bring a friends dog to the Open House. I think he will like Pucci. He's watching over me carefully when I'm eating pancakes, hoping that I will drop a piece or two... :biggrin:

Today we had 72F, grey sky and a light rain in the afternoon. Made it easier start working again.

/Erik